smoking in 0° weather - not a problem - beef ribs for xmas!

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Fan
Well i just finished up my smoking session on a set of beef ribs. I am cheating and finishing in the oven, but they were up to 185ish on the smoker and realistically didn't have much left.

I got them on around 8am (fired up the coals around 7) and despite some hiccups with my fireboard (it doesnt like it when it's THAT cold), things went mostly smooth. For those questioning what it's like smoking in freezing conditions, you go through more fuel but honestly, at least on an 18, not that much more. I loaded it up admittedly more than I normally would have but I'd say about 5 hours in this weather uses about 6 hours of fuel so really not much more.

Attachments

• 82707.jpg
    82707.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 93998.jpg
    93998.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 1632.jpg
    1632.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 70941.jpg
    70941.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 26
Those do look good. What time is dinner :D

I had my smoker running yesterday in the crud. It was more of a problem to roll it back into the garage after the meatloaf was done (it weighs about 1,200 lbs,) but it sure was less than pleasant to run out & get food.

G/f's boss called when I walked back in the house, she was about 5 miles away trying to get the Twin Cities and was just not gonna make it. Impromptu house guest.

Your ribs look great, Ryan!! Nice job ignoring Old Man Winter, and gettin' 'er done! :) My CostCo recently stopped stocking chuck short ribs, and is now stocking back ribs like the ones you've got..... Enjoy those bones!

R

Your ribs look great, Ryan!! Nice job ignoring Old Man Winter, and gettin' 'er done! :) My CostCo recently stopped stocking chuck short ribs, and is now stocking back ribs like the ones you've got..... Enjoy those bones!

R
Yeah I actually found these all at walmart of all places did a pack of each and I'll see which ones I prefer in the end.

Nice job, Ryan...wish we had some of that snow around here!

I've never had a problem with a fireboard. The kind I use burns and gives off smoke... ;)

Those ribs look great. I was worried about smoking in cold weather when I first started doing this. But it has never been a problem for me.
For some reason I use my smoker way more in the winter than I do in the summer.
I'm warming up brisket right now outside. A whopping 8 degrees.

Back