Smoking A Pork Shoulder On A 14.5" WSM

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Hi all,

How long does it take to smoke one of these on the 14.5" WSM?

Do you have to refuel often, and is it necessary to dump the ashes before refilling (during a long cook)?

Thought about buying one soon, and just wanted some input about the pluses & minuses of the 14.5" model compared to the 18.5" WSM that I already own.

In addition, what about smoke wood size?

I use locally-cut hickory (seasoned) chunks in the 18.5" model, but I have to bury it to avoid creosote smoke. I assume the charcoal ring is as deep in the 14.5" model as it is in the bigger models?

Just throwing out an option - one I use for backyard cooks...once you get your smoke on and bark set, wrap and finish in the oven.

I've always gotten quicker cooks when wrapping, I save on fuel and time spent monitoring the smoker.

If this is for road trips or competitions, then you're back to your original question and the answer is going to vary depending on size, cook temp, and rig setup.

I've cooked them in as little as 7-8 hours.(never added charcoal) But I'll wrap em in foil after a few hours, which cooks them quicker then. I've done overnight cooks on the larger WSM, in upwards of ~16 hours.

Rusty.
Charcoal Chamber on the 14.5 is: 10" OD x 4.75" Deep.

I had a larger charcoal chamber made. It's the exact same diameter as the charocal grate. I tie wired it at four points so you can lift the charcoal ring and grate at the same time. It is also 6.5" deep. I do not use the waterpan. Just a foiled 11.5" terracotta pizza serving dish. That way access to the charcoal ring is easy.
If I fill the charcoal right up, I can easily get a 11+ hrs cook time using the tin-can Minion method. (10-12 lit briqs only). Maple or apple wood will go well with the pork. I'm usually 8-10 hrs with the 5-6lb pork shoulders I do @ 250F upper cook grate temp.

So I take it that the 14.5" WSM does save on fuel compared to its 18.5" sibling when doing long cooks?

Back