smokin' in your kettle

I would advise anyone wishing to make one of these to use 11 Ga material or thicker. 14 Ga just didn't work out well. You can see pictures here; warped 1 and warped 2.
When I did my company picnic BBQ last year I "needed" another plate so I could smoke 4 butts at one time. I had this plate made from 11 Ga 304 S.S. and it has held up much, much better. The above pictures show them together to see how much better the heavier plate held up. I have used the heavier plate considerably more than the thinner plate.

The SS source listed on page 4 has VERY high prices, and I would avoid the fancy finishes. After about the second cook, the plate will be so dirty and the metal will darken from the coals - save your money. You can see the discoloration from the coals in this picture. The stainless steel cleans up fairly well with a Brillo pad, as you can see in the last picture. I don't know if I would have been so quick to grab the Brillo pad if mine looked like Jim's.

Since I took these pictures I have sanded both plates with 100 grit sandpaper and have put a nice matte finish on them. They look nice, until I get them dirty again, it was a fairly quick process, maybe an hour each max.

Yeah they are expensive if you don't need the finish and need heavier guage. They owe me a quote, but probably not going to go with them. If I do this now I think I'll look for material at the scrap yard near me. My problem would be doing the bend though in the heavier material.

I wonder if you would have had the same impact if the top of the vertical was cut an inch longer and that last inch was bent at a 90 deg to add some rigidity. May help.

Definitely doesn't need to be all that pretty, doesn't really have to be stainless either. You could just use a cutting torch and dress with a grinder, perhaps make in two sections and weld the vertical/horizontal pieces together.

Then again with the 14 gauge unit, did that warping really cause a problem with performance?

Maybe for occasional use heavy duty foil and fire bricks is enough
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
I wonder if you would have had the same impact if the top of the vertical was cut an inch longer and that last inch was bent at a 90 deg to add some rigidity. May help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am sure this would have reduced the warping that I experienced. Most of the warping happened when I tried to set up a hot indirect fire to reverse sear some steaks. This was a much different use than I had intended it to be used for. The results on the steak were less than satisfactory too. The hot area to sear was too small.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Then again with the 14 gauge unit, did that warping really cause a problem with performance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, it still works just fine.

I would hate to see someone spend a nice penny to get one of these made from some nice shiny stainless, and be disappointed when it doesn't stay like that.

read these posts earlier today butt where i did, i could not comment, blocked by company whatever.
I agree with Brad, don't spend extra for fancy finish, after two cooks, you won't see it again.
the plate i had made was run thru a machine that is very much like a planer.
This machine puts on a brush-finish.
All the machined stainless at the plant i am employed at is treated in this manner.
It is by no means a fancy finish. And the process takes all butt 1 minute.
The plate I have is made from 11 gauge (3mm) German stainless steel.
Very expensive and not readily available in the USofA (that i am aware of).
The 11G will not warp or curl or be deformed by the heat. It is virtually indestructible.

As much as cleaning the plate, i see no reason to. Unless, there is grease or anything on it that may burn and stink...
butt overall, I only scrape off dried drippings and/or whatever else does not belong on it.
Cleaning it up to make it shine certainly is not a priority here.
Recently, I have been placing same foil pans on the plate to catch drippings to make a clean-up fast.
Photo taken this evening, never really clean this plate except for scraping off grime...
DSCN2586.JPG

I'd still like to make one of Jim Lampe's plates to keep as an accessory for when I want to smoke in the Performer. There are other ways to get the job done, but this is the best, pretty cool.

If Jim or anyone else has a ready/reasonable source and get me a sheet of 11 or heavier gauge in the size I need to make one and is willing to ship to me please let me know.

I'm also willing to pay for fabricating if you are able to make one up for me.

In the meantime I'll be keeping my eyes out for a sheet of stainless that's reasonably priced. Sources on the web are pretty $$$. The scrap yard I was hoping to use to try and find a piece is closed down. Looking for another.

So - if you see this message and are willing to sell/ship either a sheet of 11 gauge or heavier or willing to make one of these up for me just send me an email. If you do consider supplying I'd keep it on the DL so you don't end up with all kinds of requests.

rbenash@verizon.net

Thanks - this is an excellent idea and the thread has been great for info and detail.

Try http://www.mcmaster.com They sell stainless sheets. The one Jim L. has is roughly .120 thick. There are many different kinds of stainless they carry. Maybe not identical to Jim's but prob good enough to do the job. You need to choose the kind of metal, and the size. I was able to find sheets as big as 24" x 24" I think they even have larger. Keep narowing the search on the mcmaster site. For exapmle do a piece of type 304, go on the left side of the page and do the length and width 24"x24" then do thickness to .120. Then you will have a list of all the different sheets in this kind of stainless. Hope this helps.

Brian

I've got a Smokenator that I used twice and guess from what I'm seeing here is improvement on the Smokenator design. I have not read all 5 pages of this topic.
I started to teach myself better fire management technique starting with basic indirect with both charcoal side baskets full and working back with various amounts of charcoal and configurations of the side baskets. Now I usually just use 1 basket filled 1/2 full of lump on the left (when facing) side, couple small chunks of wood, 4 or 5 lit briquettes - bottom vents 1/2 open & top vent full open - disposable pan (water or dry) to the right. I have no trouble maintaining temperature for anywhere from 3 to 5 hours without refueling. This is for my 22 1/2" OTS. Side basket for 26 3/4" OTG I fill about 2/3 full of unlit lump.

I have an 11 gauge version plate coming to me, so I'm covered and will have it to use when I need to press the Performer into service for smoking now and then.

Thanks for the sheet metal reference though. I have been through a good number of site going through the same methods you recommend. In the end, once I get to 11 ga price goes way up. I had been hoping to just get some sheet from a scrap yard.

But anyway - problem is solved at this point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have an 11 gauge version plate coming to me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ray, do you have the means of manufacturing the finished plate?

Hi Jim - no I don't. Well I do but not CNC. I would need to cut with a torch, grind the edges. Heat then bend.

Luckily I was able to beg one from Brad that was already made and he was no longer using.

I'll be experimenting myself with single rack of ribs in the Performer perhaps in the next few weeks.

Will this method of foiling the grate or make a cover for the grate work om my 18.5 weber grill?I like to take this smaller grill along with when camping and would like to think that I could turn it into a smaller smoker for a couple fatties or a rack of ribs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike from Iowa:
Will this method of foiling the grate or make a cover for the grate work om my 18.5 weber grill?I like to take this smaller grill along with when camping and would like to think that I could turn it into a smaller smoker for a couple fatties or a rack of ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>can't see why not Mike. giver a shot, lettuce know how it works for you.

Well i have one of these WI made "smoker plates®" And i can tell ya its da bomb! Use it everytime i do lunch meats on my kettle! A big thanks to you Mr Lampe! :)

Back