smokin' in your kettle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Duttweiler:
I haven't had any problems with my cooks using the Smokenator, but it makes sense that this method may make it even easier to use. I'm going to try foiling the part of the grill not covered by the Smokenator this weekend and see how that works for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just picked up a couple of fire bricks for a buck fifteen apiece - I'm gonna foil the grate, give 'er a whirl this weekend and see how it works - w/o the Smokenator...

Regards,

Rooster

Good! + Good Luck Rooster, Lettuce Know the results
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanx Jim, will do - BTW, seein's you hail from Wisconsin, I guess yer sitting on the edge of yer seat, bitin' those nails, and waiting to see if this is FINALLY the year Brett pulls the plug and goes into terminal hibernation from the NFL; BUT, I'm sorry to say, we'll not learn how THAT saga unfolds until probably the 3rd preseason game ends, somewhere towards the latter part of August (Heavy sigh)......
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Who??! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I share your pain - been a 'Skins and UVA fan forever, it seems, so that ought to tell you just how happy I'VE been over the past decade or so....

On a more somber note, however, I'm planning on doing just a couple of rib racks on my initial fire brick & foil run...given about a four hour total, should I use a full Weber chimney of unlit (with 4-5 lit for the MM), or can I get away with less unlit?

Now... I personally haven't had any issues at all holding temp with just fire bricks, heck even without

I'm a lump user as well, however, this is what I think almost everyone seems to make their mistake on when performing their light, Minion or not...

You want to bring your temperature up, not down...
If I want to do a good 4-6hr cook, I'll light up a little less than a half chimey, pour it over the pile, and spread it evenly... then open the vents, place the meat on (cold) and bring it up to temp...
yes this will take a bit of patience, but as the temp starts rising, you start closing down the bottom vent, from full to full close even before you hit temp...

I found this method to hold perfect temp on a Kettle for hours

Rather than foiling the bottom of the grill, has anyone tried just foiling or aluminium taping the vents at the bottom? (like one of the three or 2 of the three that might be near the food?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R L Bagwell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R L Bagwell:
if this is FINALLY the year Brett pulls the plug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Who??! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
been a 'Skins and UVA fan forever </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Who??!

Saints #1!!

not sure the tape would take the heat. but at least for me the foil on the grate is a lot easier. but even then the air coming from the open vent might wanna travel around the coals rather than through the coals.

i<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Chan:
Now... I personally haven't had any issues at all holding temp with just fire bricks, heck even without

I'm a lump user as well, however, this is what I think almost everyone seems to make their mistake on when performing their light, Minion or not...

If I want to do a good 4-6hr cook, I'll light up a little less than a half chimey, pour it over the pile, and spread it evenly... then open the vents, place the meat on (cold) and bring it up to temp...
yes this will take a bit of patience, but as the temp starts rising, you start closing down the bottom vent, from full to full close even before you hit temp...

Rather than foiling the bottom of the grill, has anyone tried just foiling or aluminium taping the vents at the bottom? (like one of the three or 2 of the three that might be near the food?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by Paul Chan:

Paul, presumably you keep the top vent open at 100% throughout the entire cook, correct - adjusting only the bottom vent as necessary?

Actuality the top vent is mostly open all the time, but should the temp spike, as I use lump, I'll bring it down with the top vent as my bottom one is usually always closed

When I bring it up from cold, slowly with appropiate bottom vent adjustment and with a small minion... I'll be able to hold a low temp for hours

As the bottom vent is mostly closd... I'm not sure I'll benefit as much w/ the foil technqiue, but maybe? I know the OT system isn't 100% air tight

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Chan:
Actuality the top vent is mostly open all the time, but should the temp spike, as I use lump, I'll bring it down with the top vent as my bottom one is usually always closed

When I bring it up from cold, slowly with appropiate bottom vent adjustment and with a small minion... I'll be able to hold a low temp for hours

As the bottom vent is mostly closd... I'm not sure I'll benefit as much w/ the foil technqiue, but maybe? I know the OT system isn't 100% air tight </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, thanks for your input - guess I'll see which venting system works best for me today when I put those ribs on around 1300....

So late getting to this. Looks like a great idea. Been thinking about fire bricks/method in the Performer for when I don't especially want to fire up the WSM. Say for a single rack, etc.

This very much reminds me of baffles we used to make to improve performance of cheap horizontals like the Char Griller Pro, Silver Smoker, etc.

Where are you guys buying your 28 gauge stainless? For those who don't have that as a "fringe benefit"
icon_smile.gif

I think I might want to go a bit wider in diameter to get just a little closer to the sides when I make one.

Great post - thanks Jim!

This is a great idea. Here and Here is my version made from 14 Ga 304S.S. I used the heavier gauge material to help control the heat a little better but I have still used a foil drip pan with a little water in it for the few cooks I have used it. This works great, just wish I could get the temps down just a bit more, 250 is ok but I would like to be in the 225 range for Pulled Pork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad L:
This is a great idea. Here and Here is my version made from 14 Ga 304S.S. I used the heavier gauge material to help control the heat a little better but I have still used a foil drip pan with a little water in it for the few cooks I have used it. This works great, just wish I could get the temps down just a bit more, 250 is ok but I would like to be in the 225 range for Pulled Pork. just wish I could get the temps down just a bit more, 250 is ok but I would like to be in the 225 range for Pulled Pork. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad, your grate cover looks, well, great! It sure beats my aluminum foil job hands down. I may check with a few of the area sheet metal shops to see what kind of price they would seek for a similar version.

With respect to your observation regarding 250 vs 225 for pulled pork, while I'm certainly no expert like the many others on this site that I rely on from time to time for good advice, it has been my experience that grill temps ranging from 225 to 275 produce no discernible difference - to MY non-discriminating palate, anyhow - in the quality of pulled pork... just my toosensewirth on that subject.

Regards,

Rooster

Brad, Nice work!
Please, tell how you cut the 14GA?
Laser?
My plan is to have one made from 11GA and laser cut. I just haven't got around to talking with our CNC Programming dept yet about writing a program. Once that's done, getting it laser'd and bent is a snap.
Yours looks very pro!

On saving foil, I'd probably foil the stainless insert, LOL but suppose I could use a drip pan.

I use the bricks and foil with OTG since I cant use the 3 bottom vents in a way to put the coals over a single vent.

Is it OK to cook with all the vents closed? I'm guessing the kettle leaks a lot more air than the WSM. I thought it would produce bad smoke/creosote if you shut the vents completely.

Thank you gents for the kind words. Just need to hit it with a flap disk on a grinder to polish it up a bit.

I had the guys at work cut it on the CNC plasma after I created the burny dxf file. Then into the break for a 90deg bend. 10 minutes of total time and some small change for the actual material. I will look into the cost to make a few of these when I return to work later in the week. My cost was... less than a few rolls of HD foil.

Very Nice!
I am going to make this happen, been putting it off too long.
The one i made out of 22 or 26GA was basically an experiment, if it worked then proceed to a more heavy duty permanent plate.
Well, as with most of my projects, i procrastinated long enough.
Thanks for posting yours Brad!

Please make extras guys. I would love to try one. I'm a big fan of the Weber Kettle.

Thank you

Back