smokin' in your kettle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Brad, when i say "Leakage is a non-factor", i mean, don't sweat the small stuff.
I cook to eet. When I start to worry about minor details, my cooks then become work. And I hate to work.
icon_biggrin.gif

butt i love to eet!
Albert, yes, i believe DPAluminum will NOT stand the heat. I would hesitate using DPA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, with all the above info how can I go wrong.

Thanks guys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Larkin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Brad, when i say "Leakage is a non-factor", i mean, don't sweat the small stuff.
I cook to eet. When I start to worry about minor details, my cooks then become work. And I hate to work.
icon_biggrin.gif

butt i love to eet!
Albert, yes, i believe DPAluminum will NOT stand the heat. I would hesitate using DPA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, with all the above info how can I go wrong.

Thanks guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will let you know the outcome once I find a source to mfgr the plate.

icon_biggrin.gif

butt i love to eet!

I will let you know the outcome once I find a source to mfgr the plate

I position one set vent holes under or near the charcoal and use foil tape (as used in the HVAC industry) to tape the other vents.

One side issue I have using the kettles this way vs a WSM is that the top of the meat gets more heat compared to the bottom. Not sure why but maybe because the heat/smoke comes from the side and over the meat vs from below.

Rotating helps resolve the issue.

John

No with the BarbKettles (old skool type) you can just close the two and monitor with the third.

I was speaking of the fin type One Touch I believe. I just use the foil tape on two vents also can use a large foil pan and shape or cut it to fit on the bottom.. a lot cheaper than the stainless.

Can do pretty decent que just from the kettles. Our team recntly took GC at a local comp using the WSM for ribs and kettles for everything else.

BTW, before owning a WSM, I got started slow cooking ribs and chicken on the kettle back in 1993 after reading an article about it in Sunset magazine.

John

Albert, I also agree that checker plate aluminum would not be good for this application. No good reason to use it, many reasons why you shouldn't.

J Reyes - The aluminum foil tape trick sounds interesting. On a OTG/platinum/performer one could foil the ash catcher pan mounting ring, just cover over some of the holes around the band to help restrict airflow.

I have also considered using a piece of perforated metal on the coal side of the divider. The perf would restrict the air flow... but I think it would also reduce the ash flow and the coals may snuff out. Possibly another experiment for the future.

I just remembered why I was able to foil tape the vents on the one-touch... mine's a silver
icon_smile.gif

The only advantage, other than being $40 cheaper

I've done another cook, keeping the two other vents foiled and it definately keeps the temps way more predictable (especially if it gets windy) and consistant... I think its also a bit more effecient, which makes sence as well.

I think the one touch system does left a fair amount of air in, but shouldn't be as much of a concern with the golds as it is with my silver..

Talking with some users of the Cajun Bandit, they pretty much keep the bottom closed as well, which indicates that there is still plenty of air being drawn in.

Ya Paul I also have the silvers in both 18 and 22 (and use foil tape) and a 22 BarbKettle which I think all allow easier to control air flow vs. Gold.

Still prefer the WSM for long cooks but with practice and technique may be able to duplicate with a kettle.

John

after reading Brian Zimmerman's post on converting a Smoky Joe Silver into a smoker,
i had to bump this post back to the top for those wanting to use kettles for outstanding smokin' devices.
i believe it was george curtis from Visalia, Calif that inspired me to trigger my project, and Brad from Sandusky, Ohio to entice me into finishing what i started...

Anyway, thanks guys for the ideas and inspiration and VERY nice work Brian!

Jim, you never really let us know how this is working out. I seem to recall some CSR's and maybe some dinosaur and spare rib dinner cooks with the plate but never any insight to how well it is working for you.

I found a great use for mine over the holidays for grilling turkey. I would set up double thick aluminum pans with a smokey joe grate on top to set the turkey on. Half full of unlit with a chimney of lit on top and it's perfect for 350deg for about 2 hours. Add another chimney of lit around the two hour mark and turn the bird to crisp the other side. This worked perfectly for the larger birds I cooked. I did 3 or 4 - 18-19 pounders and 2 - 23-24 pounds and they all come out very well.

I also have found that the off-cast meat fork I had laying around is perfect for shaking out the ashes in the tight corners.

Brad, I love this set-up. 99.9% of the time i use it in the old Red kettle.
Tonight, I'm gonna use it in the larger kettle, the 26".
I know the plate doesn't fit well in the 26 incher, butt if i have problems it'll be the last time.
I love makin' beef ribs in the kettle with this set-up. Also CSRs, which is going on tonight.
I haven't had any problems with it. I can maintain a temp of 250'F pretty easy.
Only adding charcoal more often is the only difference smoking on the WSM.
I did smoke a large rack of spares on it, butt did not care to keep adding fuel.
My spares go for 5 hours and using the WSM, i can walk away for 2-3 hours without concern.
Can't do that with the kettle. Butt, that's ok!
I also use foil pans under the food to catch drippings.
Good idea with the fork.

Has anybody tried making a ceramic smoker plate? I seem to recall someone mentioning that the metal warps as the heat is only at the one side.

I'm thinking of trying to find a pizza stone or flower pot base with the right diameter, and then slicing off the end with a masonry wet saw. Combined with the fire bricks, I should get the same effect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anybody tried making a ceramic smoker plate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Like this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Like this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, only smaller so it sits on the lower grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">yup, only smaller so it sits on the lower grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ya sorry about that. I was referencing the shape. I <STRIKE>would</STRIKE>wouldn't spend the money on a Pizza/baking stone. Look for 18x18 unglazed tiles. Your idea of a pot base would work also. I just use foil and fire bricks. It's worked for me for years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">metal warps as the heat is only at the one side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff, the plate i have is 11 gauge stainless, much thicker than the grill itself.
i doubt this metal will warp.
if you were to see this thing in person, you'd admit it's a tank.

Thought I would post this url for those looking for a source for different gauges of stainless sheet in manageable prices. They also offer free shipping. Might even do the fabrication for you as it looks.

I used this source to make a replacement panel for a Sub Zero door panel.

Sheet Metal Source

Welcome to the forum Dave! Looks like your modified Smokenator turned out some DaggumGoodLookinLipSmackinRibs right there!!
If you do go forward makin' one of these plates, please post your results.

Ray, great link. Thanks! I'd be interested in the cost to manufacture a copy of the plate.

Hey Jim - yeah I'm planning to send them a copy of the pattern and see what the charge would be just to make one up. That way I can have them use the heavier sheet than I probably would since I would be concerned about ease of cutting and bending at home.

I was thinking of redoing the pattern a bit to have the more rounded tighter fit on the vertical section against the sides.

But will probably send the pattern as it is first to see what the price for fab, mat'l and shipping would be.

Might be expensive though given their sheet costs for the heavier gauges, who knows. Might be cheaper to just get the sheet at the local scrap yard. Then there's the carbon steel alternative, or heck just use the heavy foil and fire bricks
icon_smile.gif

But these are too cool to ignore
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back