Smokin' Fastball Wings on mini WSM

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
Decided to pull out one of my 11 bbq/grill books to try a new recipe for wings. I flipped open Willingham's book and decided to make his Smokin Fastball Wings recipe. Result - very flavorful wing. It's not a hot wing, not even close, but the taste profile is really good. This was also my first cook with a new charcoal ring for my mini WSM. I am hooked on the mini for cooking small quantities and it's good practice for tailgating season. So, onto the pics....

Marinade ingredients
IMG_0953.jpg

New charcoal ring in action
IMG_0955.jpg

Wings are out of the marinade and sprinkled with the rub
IMG_0959.jpg

Wings in the mini and getting smoked
IMG_0961.jpg

Recipe calls for wings to be smoked at 205°.
IMG_0964.jpg

After smoking for 1.5 hours, they go on the grill to crisp up. With the mini, I pull the midsection off, remove the charcoal ring and put the grill grate with wings back on the silver base. It's an easy conversion from smoker to grill. Here are the wings just before pulling off the grill.
IMG_0968.jpg

Wings are plated and ready to eat.
IMG_0972.jpg

Nice technique Barry - sort of a smoky reverse sear. The wings look awesome. What was in the rub?

Regards,

John

Nice technique Barry - sort of a smoky reverse sear. The wings look awesome. What was in the rub?

Regards,

John

The wing recipe calls for a mix of Willingham's Mild Seasoning and Cajun Seasoning Mixes in his book. The rubs have the typical salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, cayenne, chili powder and dry mustard; however, he adds lemon pepper and some cinnamon. If needed, I can post both seasoning mixes.

Back