"smokey taste"

Jon Chappel

TVWBB Member
My wife never likes the food I cook on the smoker. She always says it tastes too smokey just about every time. So I've been trying to use less wood, the last chicken I made I used one piece of cherry wood. It about half a fist size and dry. The only time she really did not say anything about the bad smokey taste was when I used Cowboy lump charcoal and NO wood. I used Cowboy because it was supposed to not have a smokey taste, although I don't really like Cowboy, I found a big chunk of something (not charcoal) in a bag once, it probably weighted about 3 pounds in a 10 pound bag.

Anyway, getting back to my problem, last night we went out to a BBQ joint and the owner brought out some burnt ends as an appetizer. My wife did not try them at first, everyone else at the table loved them. I though they were good and that they had a nice smoke flavor that I am not used to after eating my own home made BBQ for so long. After all the talk about the burn ends my wife tried them. She loved them. I thought she would hate them, because I thought they were a bit smokey but no she said they were great.
So now I'm looking for help to figure out what exactly she doesn't like. I have some theories of my own below.
1. I don't use enough smoke, it just leaves a light smoke taste and dosen't really penetrate and saturate the meat, resulting in a bad smoke taste.
2. Its the charcoal taste she doesn't like, not the smoke
3. Wood should be soaked in water. The smoldering effect tastes different. (I only soaked wood my first couple of smokes.)
4. She likes brisket, I've never made brisket, only chicken and ribs. I just got the wsm, and used to smoke in my kettle so I never tried anything else.

It could be the kind of wood you're using. Have you tried Oak, Alder, Pecan? Or just the cherry? Maybe a milder or different wood will produce a flavor she likes.

Originally posted by Jon Chappel:
Just cherry, so yes I could be that. I thought cherry was mild though? What would be a good wood to try?

I use apple almost exclusively, especially on small meats. Quite mild in flavor.

Mark

Well apple wood(mainly) here to but i use alot of different woods.

The No: 1 and 3 of your list is not the problem.

No:2 well could be true but alot of ppl use Cowboy and like it. (guess it wont be the problem)

No: 4 Chicken absorb alot of smoke so be easy on the wood. Ribs well here is when my theory cracks. I use about 3 fist sized chunks for my ribs and they come out good.

I guess you have used different rubs?

But the first thing i would change is the wood like Jim/mk said.

You have the top vent 100% open when smoking?

I guess you dont use lighter fluid to start the fire?

Some ppl have a hard time with the smoke,my brother´s wife dont like the smoke flavour(if its to strong/to me still normal)

If you are not happy with the resault of meat comming off the smoker without any wood,there is only 3 things left to try.

1 Change WOOD a few times and se if SHE likes it.

2 Change SHE and se if the "new" one likes it.

3 Or just use the WSM without any wood and make she and you "almost" happy.

Could be the chicken thing...she likes the ribs more than chicken, chicken is always a problem. I don't use lighter fluid and always keep the top vent 100% open. I'll try to change the wood. Maybe the charcoal also. Lump is hard to get this time or year in new england. So Apple is sounding like the wood to use.

Howdy hi Jon,

The first thing that pops into my mind is creosote. Wolgast mentioned having the top vent open 100% too. Surely you aren't creosoting your meat... I will admit that I creosoted my first brisket.
icon_redface.gif

Also, is there, perhaps, a common rub ingredient that is giving an off flavor or aroma? Sometimes we use spices, herbs and the like in rubs and sauces that we don't normally eat in our everyday diet...

###

Nothing wrong with the kind or amount of wood you used. Cherry is quite mild, and half a fist is not too much, not by any stretch. I wouldn't be concerned about the charcoal, either, (except that money spent on Cowboy lump is money wasted.)

Just cause your wife likes smoked brisket doesn't mean she'll like smoked chicken. Most folks probably like grilled chicken better, anyway. If you're still concerned about your smoke though, try burying the wood in the top of your unlit with just one side of the chunk exposed for the lit to start burning.

Originally posted by Jon Chappel:
What is creosote? I'm thinking if trying apple wood and a salt and pepper rub, then building off of that.

It's stuff you don't want on your meat, and you can get it no matter what wood you use. There's no reason to be concerned with just one little chunk of wood, though. As far as the S&P, I'd at least use a seasoned salt.

I would go no wood and very simple seasonings 1st. If she likes then you can ease your way up on the smoke till she says.....whoa. Not sure where your located but I would look for RO Lump as it is mild. Most Walmarts carry that around here.

Jon

It took my wife months to get used to the smoke flavor. After a while she came around and is now a monster. Her demand for chicken wings while she was pregnant was never ending. I would go the route of using no wood and make sure she likes your final product. Then slowly introduce some smoke.

Thanks for all the help. I will probably try no smoke. I will also try to get some apple and some type of non fruit wood. Mesquite? Im thinking maybe its something about the fruit woods. I looked on the menu of the restaurant we went to but it did not say what type of wood they use. I will try calling them. Hopefully they aren't super secretive.

Jon, be sure to let us know what the Missus thinks if you go w/ mesquite on the smoked chicken next time.

I think I'd go with the suggestions to just use some charcoal or lump though. Albeit very subtle, you'll get a bit of smoke flavor from lump or even K blue if you use the MM of loading/lighting....not enough for pork shoulder or brisket, but maybe enough to suit chicken.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Jon, be sure to let us know what the Missus thinks if you go w/ mesquite on the smoked chicken next time.

I think I'd go with the suggestions to just use some charcoal or lump though. Albeit very subtle, you'll get a bit of smoke flavor from lump or even K blue if you use the MM of loading/lighting....not enough for pork shoulder or brisket, but maybe enough to suit chicken.

First of all, I HOPE you know Dave is joking about the mesquite and chicken!

After that, I think the answer is in your own original post, Jon. She likes beef -- feed her beef. A brisket (in my humble and relatively newbie to smoking experience) is easy and produces great results. You can always freeze the leftovers (I love the smoky aroma from my freezer bags when they come out of the freezer). Or for a smaller and possibly more reliable alternative, a chuck roast.

You didn't say what kind of burnt ends -- beef or pork. I assume beef so do a full packer brisket (see instruction from Chris in the cooking how-to area), cut off the point when the flat is cooked and put the point back on the smoker for a few more hours. You can do something similar with a pork butt -- just cut off a big chunk when cooked and put it back on the smoker. Alternatively, cut either the point or the butt section up into bite-size chunks and cook them on the smoker in a cast iron skillet for another hour or so. (That last is my preference.)

Cook for your wife for a while -- if you can, get her involved so she has a stake in it. If she's not liking your chicken and/or ribs, quit smoking chicken or ribs for her.

It's already been said, but be sure you keep your top vent wide open (if you don't already). Once you have what you want and your wife likes it, you can experiment with closing it a little, but frankly I don't know why you would.

And last, DON'T soak those chunks. In my opinion, the only thing you MIGHT gain from smoking is creosote. Creosote is a by product from burning wood at low temps -- and wet wood burns a low temps. My opinion only, but I've been able to run my woodstove for more 20 years without ever cleaning the chimney stack -- my method of always producing a HOT fire first (to burn off any creosote) and NEVER using wet wood keeps the chimney clean on its own. (Mind you, I didn't say I don't INSPECT the chimney -- it just never needs cleaning.) Seriously, I doubt soaking wood will produce creosote -- but have you ever smelled wet wood burning -- yuck!

Rich

Joking, Rich? Nah...only half kidding. I already made some suggestions, but if the OP wants to TRY mesquite, THAT's how you LEARN...and who knows? Maybe she'll really like it.

I second the suggestion to work on the brisket and burnt ends. I'd stick to grilling the yardbird if it was me.

Yep. I think i'll stick to grilled chicken for now. I'm planning on doing some ribs or brisket this weekend. I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ps what s an OP?

Jon are u cooking chicken piece's or whole chicken. Chicken piece's are best grilled, it's hard to smoke chicken piece's absorb way to much smoke. Now whole chicken is a different ball game. Also when smoking a whole chicken u need the temp at around 325-375 range, no low and slow with chicken. Also do not soak wood, wood does not absorb water it's only the surface that's wet. I use mesquite on all my cook's, a little will go a long way be careful if using mesquite.

Back