"smokey taste"

It was a whole chicken cut in half and the temps were around 350°C. I've never burred the wood in the unlit coals as someone said earlier, I will try that also.

Hey Jon, I feel you pain about not finding BBQ stuff this time of year, so I try the Bass pro or Lowes. I find they have a good selection of wood, I use the lump but most likely will switch to kingsford. Good luck from a fellow rookie!!

Thanks everyone for the help. I made some pulled pork and pulled beef over the weekend. I used two pieces of cherry wood they were in total about the size of a fist. They were 75% buried in the coals. I wrapped the meat to finish. There was about zero smoke taste, which I did not like. She was happy that it was not smokey, but didn't like it much. I have to say that it was a little dry, I will have to work on that. But anyway I'm going to cook things how I like them from now on...nice and smokey. She will come around...or I will get very fat ether way I'm happy.

PS if you want to read more about this epic cook its your lucky day
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/5241076506

Another thought... are you (or were you) stirring the coals mid cook? Is it possible you were inadvertently causing imparting a dirty, ash taste to your meat by raising dust?

I did not stir the coals.

I have brined chicken before and smoked it on the kettle. I'm still very new to the wsm so I haven't done any brined butts. This summer I hope to use it a lot and will experiment with different rubs, brines exc.

As far as chicken goes, I will probably stick to grilling it.

I'm very surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of a new wife.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Bob LeFever:
I'm very surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of a new wife.
icon_wink.gif
bob, you did not read Daniel's post on page one??
"2 Change SHE and se if the "new" one likes it."

Jon you did not mention or I missed it. Are you using the minion method of lighting your charcoal. I am new at this so take it for what its worth. I found that the smoke from the continualy lighting charcoal gives the meat that strong creasote taste. I think some people are just more sensitive to it.

Originally posted by Jon Chappel:
Thanks for all the help. I will probably try no smoke. I will also try to get some apple and some type of non fruit wood. Mesquite? Im thinking maybe its something about the fruit woods. I looked on the menu of the restaurant we went to but it did not say what type of wood they use. I will try calling them. Hopefully they aren't super secretive.

Jon, I've worked at BBQ places here on their HAVC and such and have found (around here anyway), They use Hickory wood exclusively.

May be worth a try. Good Luck.

Back