Smokey Joe cooking grate for 2nd wsm 18" charcoal grate!

Vince B

TVWBB Pro
I have been wanting to get a second charcoal grate for my wsm. My thoughts were I could crisscross them in order to keep lump/charcoal from falling through. A lot of guys talk about doing this with another grate so I was thinking about giving it a try. I find that a bunch of the smaller pieces of lump like to fall through or charcoal once it has burned down a bit.

Well today while getting the wsm ready for some spatch chicken halves I had this idea. I use a SJ usually to light my chimney starter on. While I had the top off I was looking at the cooking grate. Man that is pretty close to the charcoal basket in the wsm. To my surprise it was almost a perfect fit. Worked great!

Here are the pic's.

DSCF0017-13.jpg

DSCF0018-13.jpg

i've been running it like this since last summer. i tied mine in with a few small pieces of braided steel wire so i don't have to mess with it. it works great, for nearly no $$$.

The cooking grates for an ECB will also work. I saved the grates when I finally trashed my old Brinkmann Gourmet and use them for this purpose.

yep, I'm sure it was on this site that someone had a part number of the grate and I went to the store and got a grate that fits nice in the ring. I wired the ring to the original charcoal grate and put the smaller one in at 90º and it works great for the small pieces of lump. Good mod!

A slightly cheaper and much more durable grate is the 18" charcoal grate. It's the same size as the Smokey Joe cooking grate but will hold up to the lit charcoal better. I use it in my smoker.

Back