Smokefire EX4 - Great deal - Broken leg - Why can't anything be simple?

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
I saw an ad for a Smokefire EX4 brand new with a broken leg for cheap, $125. I figure I just bought a welder and only got to use it once so I went for it. Turns out the cast aluminum connection to the leg had broken, not the actual leg. I looked it over and thought either a new piece which is only 6 bolts and probably not much $$ or JB Weld. I registered it with Weber to get the piece, but they don't sell it, Have to buy the entire cook box for $400, they offered me a discount to $300. After a long time on hold for a manager I got it covered under warranty. I got this huge heavy box and took the piece I needed off and replaced it. Now what do I do with a new cook box? I also found out today it is a Gen 1, so I ordered all the Gen 2 upgrades. I was briefly temped to keep it, but after playing with my last EX4, I decided I am more of a charcoal guy instead of a pellet one. It is quite ridiculous that Weber does not sell that piece by itself. Anyone around Richmond VA want a new EX4 cookbox?
20220215_151312.jpg20220215_145332.jpg00101_kzS8bcGAXRIz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg20220221_120313.jpg20220221_114517.jpg20220221_114527.jpg

I'd expect that cast aluminum to break much easier than the sheet metal leg. And cast aluminum is difficult to weld up, even with the right equipment. I don't think that stick or MIG would work, that has to be TIG A/C (for the cleaning cycles.)

I'd expect that cast aluminum to break much easier than the sheet metal leg. And cast aluminum is difficult to weld up, even with the right equipment. I don't think that stick or MIG would work, that has to be TIG A/C (for the cleaning cycles.)
That is what I figured. That is why I went with either JB Weld or new piece. I did not figure on Weber not being able to just provide the small piece. Why they had to ship a whole firebox is beyond me.

That is what I figured. That is why I went with either JB Weld or new piece. I did not figure on Weber not being able to just provide the small piece. Why they had to ship a whole firebox is beyond me.
Because their cost accountant can't put an actual value on individual components. If he / she could, Weber would most would make more cost efficient decisions

Because it likely comes to Illinois assembled from wherever it comes from. Is what it is, the manufacturer is under no requirement to offer every single little thing that someone could possibly f up and you’re lucky you got it under warranty.

They absolutely could have said you’re on your own and been in the right because frankly I can’t imagine how the hell someone broke that. I unloaded mine from the bed of the truck all sorts of wonky, on a cooler and two wheels (🤣) and managed to not break it.

Because it likely comes to Illinois assembled from wherever it comes from. Is what it is, the manufacturer is under no requirement to offer every single little thing that someone could possibly f up and you’re lucky you got it under warranty.

They absolutely could have said you’re on your own and been in the right because frankly I can’t imagine how the hell someone broke that. I unloaded mine from the bed of the truck all sorts of wonky, on a cooler and two wheels (🤣) and managed to not break it.
Selling and stocking parts is part of the planned support of a product. I do think they should "offer every single little thing that someone could possibly f up". It would be way more cost effective for them and the customer if they did. That is the sign of a great company. The reason I used to buy all my appliances and tools at Sears is each one came with a manual with an exploded parts diagram at the end. Any part I needed could be ordered from that diagram with the part # clearly labeled.

It doesn’t pay to stock every little piece. Doesn’t pay to have aluminum end brackets sitting on a shelf in some warehouse that may never be sold, when they can go on new production pieces. You need one, they pull it off the production line.

Welcome to the new world. The new world that you can’t get what you used to. The new world where things that used to be plentiful can’t be grabbed soon enough. Check out your local car lots. It’s almost all used. Your local Walmart, tried buying Ramen noodles lately?

That may also be why Sears is nearly out of business and has been for nearly two decades.

Production parts vs. service parts. And what you get as an assembly vs. individual parts as a vendor.

Sellers need to be able to recognize when they're sending out whole assemblies under warranty, rather than simply the failed component. And it may also be it's just not worth breaking down the BoM for the assembly into service parts. All about the money.

Joe, I completely agree. Weber has always been good about
making replacement parts. That has been one of their strongest
selling points. Not having this part available is ridiculous to begin
with based upon their history and reputation. More so though,
that area of the grill is it's Achilles' heel. Consider yourself lucky
with your persistence. I have passed on 2 of these with the same
problem to avoid going down that rabbit hole. I have seen other
owners on other pages have the same issue and were not as
fortunate as you ... having to fork over the $400.

Joe, I completely agree. Weber has always been good about
making replacement parts. That has been one of their strongest
selling points. Not having this part available is ridiculous to begin
with based upon their history and reputation. More so though,
that area of the grill is it's Achilles' heel. Consider yourself lucky
with your persistence. I have passed on 2 of these with the same
problem to avoid going down that rabbit hole. I have seen other
owners on other pages have the same issue and were not as
fortunate as you ... having to fork over the $400.
Thanks Dave. Good to know. I will strip the leg mount from the other side and put it up for sale so someone else doesn't have to buy the whole firebox. Are there any other pieces that I should salvage before it goes to the scrappers?

Every time I think it is safe to go back in the water?!!!!

I really WANT to want a SmokeFire. I wish I could think of more reasons to justify it.

Every time I think it is safe to go back in the water?!!!!

I really WANT to want a SmokeFire. I wish I could think of more reasons to justify it.
Honestly, if I were to go with something "like this" it would be a Masterbuilt or Chargriller gravity fed charcoal smoker / cooker. Pellets are messy and finicky. The Masterbuilt also have rotisseries available and I spin most of my chickens. I think one of those could replace my WSM and performer. I will let you know if I ever catch a deal on one;-)

Joe,
I agree that a gravity feed charcoal grill is an appealing option. I have seen deals bith on used MasterBuilt and Chargriller versions. Looks like they have their own issues, but good cooking results is not one of them.

I have a large Recteq pellet grill, and unlike your experience with the SmokeFire, I have never found it to be finicky or messy. It consistently turns out good bbq. Not strong smoke flavor, but enough for me. I enjoy playing around with different pellets as well.

Maybe my best bet is to get a gravity feed to help with bbq events and a Recteq Bullseye for small cooks and an occasional variation from gas for high heat grilling.

I was going to start a new thread on this but was wondering if you (or anyone else) has tried charcoal pellets in your pellet grill? I recently came across them on a FB forum I think and they sound very intriguing

I was going to start a new thread on this but was wondering if you (or anyone else) has tried charcoal pellets in your pellet grill? I recently came across them on a FB forum I think and they sound very intriguing
I have been using Lumberjack charcoal pellets in my Yoder for a couple years now and just used some RO charcoal pellets in my Recteq. I personally don't know that I can tell a noticeable difference between them and typical pellets other than they may, possibly, burn a touch hotter. No science to back that up on my part though. I have started mixing them though with other pellets. I don't think I'll buy anymore though for the price "expansion" of the black charcoal pellet vs typical pellets. It may have been more of an opportunity for a higher priced pellet and a marketing tactic. I also am curios what others may say about this pure charcoal pellet at $20.00 a bag from HD I saw yesterday.

Joe, after experimenting with my first pellet grill, I will not use any
pellet grill without some form of charcoal pellet- usually Lumberjack.
Otherwise you might as well cook on the gasser with a foil pouch
of wood chips.
As for parts, I would keep everything that I could spare the room for.

Back