Smoked Polish Sausage

EricV.

TVWBB Wizard
Abe Froman here; 10 lbs. of Polish, smoked with cherry & hickory via the WSM.

Attachments

• Linked.jpg
    Linked.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 51
  • The Set-Up.jpg
    The Set-Up.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 53
  • On the WSM.jpg
    On the WSM.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 52
  • Getting some color.jpg
    Getting some color.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 48
  • All done.jpg
    All done.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 46
Can this be done with the brats laying flat on a grate? I just recently got a Pellet but have the WSM as an old backup...
Sure can, Matthew. You may want to flip occasionally, and you might have some grate marks (usually grease/build up) that you want to wipe off after if they bother you. Done em on the grates many times! :)

I don't have any experience with pellet grills, but I would think it would work. You may have to turn them over half way through to insure evenness.

Eric or Abe, great post and is just what brought me to this site.. long story short, I have literally made tons of sausage ea yr with family after a successful deer season. Dad “had” a big custom unit that we did about 100-125# in at time.

Fast forward to today where the only smoker I have is my 22.5” WSM and I would like to do my venison sausage on it. I bought the Hunsaker versa rack (wow is that a quality made product, highly recommend) to make this happen. Have been researching trying to determine how much sausage a guy could planning on hanging/smoking at one time using my set up (which appears to be very close to the system you used to make those pictured polish.

My ask is: how much (#) you think you could smoke in one smoke and how far down did you let your sausage hang/how close does one date get to the water bowl?

I am hoping I can/could do 25# at a shot. What say you?

Thank you in advance..

Rod in MN

Eric or Abe, great post and is just what brought me to this site.. long story short, I have literally made tons of sausage ea yr with family after a successful deer season. Dad “had” a big custom unit that we did about 100-125# in at time.

Fast forward to today where the only smoker I have is my 22.5” WSM and I would like to do my venison sausage on it. I bought the Hunsaker versa rack (wow is that a quality made product, highly recommend) to make this happen. Have been researching trying to determine how much sausage a guy could planning on hanging/smoking at one time using my set up (which appears to be very close to the system you used to make those pictured polish.

My ask is: how much (#) you think you could smoke in one smoke and how far down did you let your sausage hang/how close does one date get to the water bowl?

I am hoping I can/could do 25# at a shot. What say you?

Thank you in advance..

Rod in MN
I think you can get 20-25 lbs. in there. If you look at the photo's above, I have 24 links in the WSM 22 with the Weber Hanging Rack. The sausages are 10" to 12" in length, probably close to 20 lbs. & they are within a few inches of the cover on the water pan. I have made some batches before where a few links may have actually touched the cover. Also, I don't have any water in the pan, I usually have a terracotta pot base inside the water bowl. I also use an ATC to control the temps usually starting out at around 135 degrees & continue to bump up the temps until my desired temp. I also place the sausage in an ice bath upon pulling them.

Good luck & don't forget to share your results here!

I think you can get 20-25 lbs. in there. If you look at the photo's above, I have 24 links in the WSM 22 with the Weber Hanging Rack. The sausages are 10" to 12" in length, probably close to 20 lbs. & they are within a few inches of the cover on the water pan. I have made some batches before where a few links may have actually touched the cover. Also, I don't have any water in the pan, I usually have a terracotta pot base inside the water bowl. I also use an ATC to control the temps usually starting out at around 135 degrees & continue to bump up the temps until my desired temp. I also place the sausage in an ice bath upon pulling them.

Good luck & don't forget to share your results here!

Fantastic info Eric, thank you very much. I will post my journey when we get to the grind, stuff and smoke stage. I am doubly blessed as both my adult daughters still love to go deer hunting and make sausage with me. So lining up everyone’s schedule can be a chore and besides it’s ice fishing time still…. Thanks again..

Rod

Back