Smoked Meatloaf on WSM Question

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
Hello all,
I've done two meatloafs on the WSM in the past week or so. Turned out delicious but I have a question. The top of the loaf does not seem to get as done as the lower half. It's kinda like a V from the top corners to about the middle |\/|. It is redder and a cooler temp as the rest. The loaf is on a small perforated metal pan, not aluminum and the water pan is foiled empty. It cooks about an hour at roughly 350. This last one I did this weekend seemed more pronounced. It seems its not cooking from the top, only the bottom and the sides. Sorry no pics.

Thoughts? Is the loaf too thick? Do I need to turn it?

Thank you. I'm beginning to wonder if the metal pan is acting like a heatsink where the loaf is cooking from the bottom, not giving the top time to cook.

Try cooking one on your kettle instead of your WSM.
Coals on each side, loaf on perforated foil or parchment paper, foil or pan under it to catch dripping for cleanup.

IMGP4193.JPG

If you try the parchment paper, it would be easy to flip from top to bottom about half way through your cook.

Shawn W was the first one who clued me in on using parchment paper on loaves, cut it slightly larger than the loaf, and let one part funnel off like this>.
Foiling your pan needs to be crimped tight around the edges, any loose flappy parts will give you cool spots and an uneven burn.
Oh and try Cherry wood, that's another clue from Kevin Kruger.:wsm:

Tim

Meatloaf.jpg

I cook mine about 2 1/3 to 3 inches thick. Food on the center of my Performer with coals and corncobs as smoke-wood banked up in a circle on the outer edge of the kettle. Temp probe near top of food. 40 minutes to an hour. Pull when temp probe hits 155° F. Rest for 5 to ten minutes. Yum.

I sort of free form mine on a hunk or foil. I then toss it in the smoker at ~250ish and let it roll. The foil stays flat, no need to "pan" it.

Back