Smoked Meat Tubes

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Finished off the rest of my Restaurant Depot meat-a-palooza by taking some of the pork butt and turning it into some smoked Polska kiełbasa wędzona (hot smoked Polish sausage with pepper, garlic, and marjoram.) I got all the meat ground up yesterday, then added my spices and cure to 2000g of the minced meat (the rest was frozen into 500g packages for later use.). After an overnight nap, I got the mix stuffed into standard hog casings, let them dry at room temp for a couple of hours, then onto the grill to smoke at about 140F for six hours. Once they had good color, I finished them off in a 170F poaching bath until they hit an internal temp of 154F. Pulled them out of the poacher, dunked into an ice bath to chill down, then dried and separated the links. I haven't tucked into the yet, but they smell incredible!

Freshly linked:

IMG_7477.jpeg

A couple of hours in on the grill:

IMG_7479.jpeg

Getting poached:

IMG_7480.JPG

All done, ready to nap in the fridge before lunch tomorrow:

IMG_7481.JPG

Great job Rich. I've never attempted to make my own but wondering if those are now pretty well cooked through so all you have to do is heat them or do you grill them like fresh Italian sausage?

Great job Rich. I've never attempted to make my own but wondering if those are now pretty well cooked through so all you have to do is heat them or do you grill them like fresh Italian sausage?
Thanks, Jerry. Give it a try, it's fun! Start with some bulk sausage to figure out how to mince/grind, season, mix, etc. before you start with casings (or, you can be like me and dive headfirst into the deep-end!) Either way, it's a kick, and you know exactly what's in it!

These sausages I made yesterday are safe to eat cold out of the fridge. Since I did a low-temp smoke on them for several hours, they also have Cure #1 in them to ensure safety while at those low temps.

I make lots of fresh sausages that you would grill up like a fresh italian or brat from the store. I keep ground pork on hand in the freezer, so if I need something in a pinch (breakfast sausage, italian, chorizo, etc.) I can defrost, season, mix and voila! :)

R

Those are looking good! Really should make some fresh sausage again its been a while.
Get the grinder out, Case!! These turned out to be the best I've ever made. Just ate my first link sliced up and straight from the fridge. Simple, but very balanced seasoning. I riff'd off THIS RECIPE. Primary changes were using thyme instead of marjoram (I was out), and ground everything through my 7mm plate. First time I've done the smoke then poach, and the finished snap on the casing is much better (gets tougher when you smoke to done.)

Smoked Meat Tubes, doesn't do these sausages justice....​

Click bait, Jeff.....got ya! ;)

Here was my lunch!

1607382496794.jpeg

Great looking links there Rich. Very uniform and plump. Really like that coarse grind.
Thanks, Cliff. I've been making all my sausages with a 4mm grind since my grinder only came with 4mm and 10mm plates. I recently added a 7mm plate, and I really like how they turned out with a little coarser grind.....which I think is probably appropriate for this type of sausage anyway.

R

Thanks, Cliff. I've been making all my sausages with a 4mm grind since my grinder only came with 4mm and 10mm plates. I recently added a 7mm plate, and I really like how they turned out with a little coarser grind.....which I think is probably appropriate for this type of sausage anyway.

R
Nice looking Polska kiełbasa. Do you double grind with 7mm plate?

Back