Smoked hot wings and PBS

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
Figuring my 18.5" wsm has been kind of left out lately, today I smoked a couple of small chuck roasts for Pepper Beef Stout. Here they are smoked and fixing to be panned.

Panned on peppers and onions to go into the oven with beer and worster

It turned out pretty good, and went on buns with an assortment of cheeses to choose from. The beer flavor was a bit on the stout side this time. Perhaps, because I used a full bottle in each pan, even though the roasts were closer to 3 lbs instead of 4. A bit salty, too, so I guess I shouldn't have used quite as much worster, either. Oh, well. It was still good. Just not as good as last time.

After the chuckies went into the oven though, the wings came out of their marinade and got their turn on the little bullet. Here they are just begging to be ate off the grate.

The wings turned out even better, a new recipe I got from a friend that is basically a marinade that is later used as a mop when smoking low-n-slow. The left side of the pan were the ones on the top rack. All were pulled at the same time, but the ones on the bottom were only directly mopped one time during the cook and not quite as hot as the ones from the top grate. They were all a big hit, and my sister-in-law called them "amazing". First time I've ever smoked wings low-n-slow, but the results were very "tender", in the words of my brother-in-law. Definitely a cook I'll be doing again, and I can smoke a boat load on my 22" wsm with an extra grate!

Thanks for checking out my cook, and I hope ya'll are having a great weekend!
Dave

I know what you mean about them feeling left out. The hardest part of a cook is trying to decide which one to use.

Nice looking cook their Dave!!!

Dave, the beef looks AMAZING!!!
and the Wings are AWESOME!!!
NOTHING beats wings on the WSM without the pan in place... I LOVE IT! GREAT post!!

Dave, the beef looks AMAZING!!!
and the Wings are AWESOME!!!
NOTHING beats wings on the WSM without the pan in place... I LOVE IT! GREAT post!!

Thanks, Jim. Foiled Brinkman pan came out after the beef went to the oven, and then I put the deep Weber pan in, sprayed with Pam grilling spray, and added only 2 liters worth, (2 liters more an hour or so later.) I'm with ya on chicken direct with no pan, but wanted to try low-n-slow with two racks worth. The friend that gave me this recipe cooks thighs direct, but says this is his favorite way for smoked wings so I had to try since it's his recipe. The wings skin was the most tender I've ever had and a huge hit....a nice contrast to crispy grilled wings.

That's it, I must try wings on the smoker sometime.

Matt, my wife said that she actually liked them better than my usual Dougherty's wings, which are also mopped, but cooked indirect in a pile on the kettle. Both recipes are really good, but yesterday's wings were noticeably more tender. Whether that's from the marinade and/or cooking a little slower on the wsm, I have no idea. You can bet I'll be trying the Dougherty wings on the wsm next time, though.

Back