Smoked Chuck Roast for the CEO's Birthday

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So I had two sitting in the fridge defrosting for a few days and told the CEO I was making her a special dinner tonight. PRESSURE IS ON.
So rubbed with some Rufus Teage

DSC_0584_zps77e92b67.jpg

Got the WSM ready for a low and slow

DSC_0585_zpsc2c072fa.jpg

After 2.5 hrs at 225 this is how she looked, waited 3.5 to 4hrs at165 internal, then foiled in beef broth, Worcestershire and some Rufus

DSC_0589_zps009c94c7.jpg

Done and cooling for a few minutes, gorgeous

DSC_0591_zpsc57ccf88.jpg

Potatoes on the grate in the OTG over Stubbs, Gus bathed in EVOO Kosher and Fresh Ground on the Grill Grates

DSC_0595_zps9466f623.jpg

DSC_0597_zpsf7ee1c1f.jpg

Chopped and ready to go

DSC_0599_zpsfea9d49c.jpg

Your plate with some Blues Hog on the side and some nice cole slaw

DSC_0600_zps831aa5c1.jpg

Last edited:
A Happy Birthday to the CEO, Bill!! It's just about time to go to lunch and your post has my mouth watering. Too bad I'm not having some of your good looking food.

Thanks Guys for the birthday wishes for the CEO, and the food compliments. Got to tell you this being my first time doing Chuck Roasts I am flabbergasted. I must of got some real good meat or just got lucky in the cook because the CEO and #2 both said they like it better than brisket. For me it is a toss up but I had six hours into this cook and it was some of the most juicy and tender meat I have ever eaten. I am going to work on some different versions of this and start buying them on sale and keeping a freezer full.
And another first for me was the Rufus Teage, excellent stuff, great balance of flavor, and the first time I did not rub the night before. It was done half hour before the smoke.

So you're saying it was 2.5 hours to foil and then 4 hours in the foil with the broth? Foil pan? or wrapped in foil like ribs.?
the chuck looks great , by the way. I want to get into these chuck roasts because they are pretty cheap and they do taste good. :wsm:

Frank I mis-typed I guess it should have been said better. That was a pic at 2.5 hrs. It was on for about three and a half hrs. maybe four when I foiled it at 165. 165 was my foiling goal. My apologies if I caused any confusion. I am going back and editing that so it is clearer.
This is a simple low and slow cook that gives you phenomenal meat.

Back