Smoked / Braised Chuck Roast

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My probes said I hit 200 IT, but apparently I didn’t hit 200 where it counts most. My son made a sandwich as planned and used the juice from the braise as dipping sauce and he was quite happy. I made a taco, but I was already
pretty full from a burger and two sausages. It was successful cook, but still room to improve

Attachments

• IMG_6229.jpeg
    IMG_6229.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6231.jpeg
    IMG_6231.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6235.jpeg
    IMG_6235.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6245.jpeg
    IMG_6245.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6251.jpeg
    IMG_6251.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6248.jpeg
    IMG_6248.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6253.jpeg
    IMG_6253.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6250.jpeg
    IMG_6250.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6254.jpeg
    IMG_6254.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 23
Chuck and his chuck adventure, sounds like a movie title. I'm glad it turned out, I love chuck roast prepared in just about any way. Your meal looks pretty scrumptious to me. :love:

These are a great cook,buy getting popular as yhe prices are soring I saw a few for 27 bucks and they were not that big, talking TT prices.
Chuch your taco looks really good to my empty stomach..

Chuck’s are finicky…the beef that is 😬. But that looks great. There is such a fine line between being pullable vs overcooked and dry. Looks like you struck a nice balance of pulling or slicing!

I must confess that I’ve never really mastered cooking a Chuck roast.
I can do a decent Mississippi Pot Roast most of the time in my crockpot or instant pot but I gotta admit there are times when the meat is tender and the taste can be dry.
Same goes for on the bbq/smoker.
Chucks are hit or miss for me to the point of cooking them less and/or not serving them to guests.

I must confess that I’ve never really mastered cooking a Chuck roast.
I can do a decent Mississippi Pot Roast most of the time in my crockpot or instant pot but I gotta admit there are times when the meat is tender and the taste can be dry.
Same goes for on the bbq/smoker.
Chucks are hit or miss for me to the point of cooking them less and/or not serving them to guests.
Same here. That is why I want to get this recipe into my rotation.

gochujang, miso, hoisin, soy, onion, pepper, sesame oil. Looks great. Smells great. Taste okay. Tender, nope. Awful. Extra cook, nope. Nothing would make this tender.
Usually our stew method is fool-proof. But not when you add certain ingredients, or so it seems. This will get recooked tomorrow, and "tenderized".

Attachments

• 20240707_203701.jpg
    20240707_203701.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 0
gochujang, miso, hoisin, soy, onion, pepper, sesame oil. Looks great. Smells great. Taste okay. Tender, nope. Awful. Extra cook, nope. Nothing would make this tender.
Usually our stew method is fool-proof. But not when you add certain ingredients, or so it seems. This will get recooked tomorrow, and "tenderized".
It’s not as easy as Malcolm makes it look. I’ve got about a half dozen attempts and 3 were terrible, two were not terrible and this one was almost good. My wife crock pots them and they’re amazing, which only infuriates me all the more 😂

I’ve been using Zoup beef bone broth this last few weeks for reheating beef and this stuff tastes great.
I just toss in about a 1/2 inch of this broth add some old meat and it turns out nice and juicy.
Even the label say tastes so good you will want to drink it (or something like that).
I think the next time I do a Chuck in the crockpot or the instant pot it will be resting in this broth.

FWIW,
I think my better Chuck roast cooks are the simpler ones like the plain Jane Mississippi roast.

It’s not as easy as Malcolm makes it look. I’ve got about a half dozen attempts and 3 were terrible, two were not terrible and this one was almost good. My wife crock pots them and they’re amazing, which only infuriates me all the more 😂
We make a stew chuck version of a chinese short rib recipe. Tender. Fool-proof. Nope, not today. Something with the spices. The miso or the gochujang or something made it tough.
I have made the traditional onion soup (homemade onion soup) many times. But a few years ago it stopped working.

Maybe I should nut that old fashioned brown gravy and just amother it.
I look forward to this recipe. If I can get it down pat, it will be in rotation

Back