Smoked and Braised Beef Short Ribs

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
I picked up a couple packages of beef short ribs on Friday. Yesterday I removed the excess fat
and silver skin from the ribs.
DSC_8603.jpg

Ribs were then coated with some olive oil and the seasoned with Kosmo’s Cow Cover. Ribs were
then placed into the refrigerator until this morning.
DSC_8605.jpg

Ribs were hit with some kosher salt and black pepper then put onto the WSM. I used hickory and
apple wood for the smoke. Smoker is holding a steady temperature of 230.
DSC_8607.jpg

2 ½ hours later the ribs were at 160 internal temp, so I pulled them off the smoker and put them on
a bed of potatoes, onions, mushrooms, minced garlic and 1 cup of beef broth.
DSC_8620.jpg

Ribs were foiled tightly and put back onto the smoker. I am looking for an internal temp of 190 plus.
DSC_8625.jpg

2 hours later the ribs were at 196 and definitely probe tender and fall off the bone ready.
DSC_8631.jpg

Plated and ready to devour!
DSC_8634.jpg

Best short ribs I have cooked as they had plenty of flavors and were melt in your mouth delicious!

Thanks for looking!

Mike I'd really like to try this. you covered the ribs, did you still keep the WSM at 230? These look really nice. Thanks,
Rolf

Mike I'd really like to try this. you covered the ribs, did you still keep the WSM at 230? These look really nice. Thanks,
Rolf

Rolf, the temperature varied between 230 and 238 for the last 2 hours. I think I am finally getting my WSM dialed into where I want it and it stays there.

Nice cook. When I did mine last week I just foiled them for the last hour or so, but I'd like to try this approach.

Mike - those short ribs look great! Wife puts them in beef soup - I'm going to have to steal a few from the freezer and cook 'em like you did!!

Back