Smoke wood on top or underneath coals?

James Mundy

TVWBB Member
Hello chaps,

A simple question really, is it best to put your smoke wood underneath the unlit coals or on top?

I'm cooking a 3kg Turkey Breast tomorrow and as it's going to be a shorter cook at 250 I think I'll put them on the top to get the smoke going early. But I can see the merits over a longer cook.

What are your thoughts?

I like to bury a chunk deep and lay one right on top. That way you get 2 smoke sessions....

As usual, I am a bit different. LOL I like to control the smoke because I am a "more is less" guy when it comes to smoke wood. I treat it like a strong spice: a little goes a long way for me and my family and friends in an effort to avoid what we've dubbed the "ashtray effect". So with that thought in mind, I like to ensure I have a clean burning fire (basically no smoke visible), and I add one piece of smoke wood at a time on top of the fire through the door. I add one "chunk" per hour or so for the first 1/3 of the estimated cook time.

HTH Cheers!

I simply use a mild smoke wood (Apple or other fruit wood) and put three or four chunks flush with the top of the briquettes:

There's nothing wrong with mixing woods, either. Say, one chunk of hickory with two or three chunks of apple.

Basically, you have to decide how much and what kind of smoke you and your family and friends enjoy - then do it that way.

FWIW
Dale53

I like mine buried in the coals, for me wood sitting on top burns off too fast and often ignites and burns rather than a nice even smoke.

This is just the way I roll from tips learned on this board over the years.
Wood on top of the unlit, split into smaller chunks. ( this was for a HH brisket cook, and more pcs than I would normally use)
IMAG0650.jpg

About 3/4 chimney of lump going for the lit, and again this is for a HH cook.
IMAG0651.jpg

I only did a partial lit, cause this was with lump, but that gets scattered over the top.
IMAG0653.jpg

Like said up-thread, no rules or a right or wrong way to do anything on a WSM ( besides food safety ) Find You're way or method, and post that when ready.:wsm:

Tim

I've been trying to figure some of this out, too. I wanted to put my wood under my charcoal, but like Dwain, I want my charcoal burning cleanly before I put my food on. I started allowing my charcoal to burn a little longer each cook until I got up to about 30 minutes before putting my food on. After putting my food on, I would add wood to the top through the door. Then, after reading this thread, it dawned on me that I could put my wood under the charcoal to start, allow the fire to preheat for 30 minutes (or more) and have my cake and eat it too.

Like Dwain, I try to use wood judiciously. In fact, I plan to try cooking on my WSM one day without wood at all. I'm really in love with the charcoal flavor.

Back