Smoke time for TWO brisket POINTS

Dave Z

Just curious if anyone can help with this? I usually smoke a whole packer brisket but wanting to do TWO points. My source can provide flats, points or packers and in this case, I am keen to do TWO points.

I monitor internal temprature so that will drive when I pull the points but just wondering if anyone has a "best guess" on how long two points would take on a WSM-22 that is set for 240-260F?

For a packer, it does vary but I think most folks would say 12-14 hours in general.

I have to think two points would be less? If I had to guess I would say 8-10 hours? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Do high heat and wrapped part way-->3-4 hr or a bit less. Did a 13lb packer and it took 5 hr IIRC

Dave, do you have any idea what the weight of each of the points is going to be? There will be a minimum time that it will take to thoroughly tenderize the point via breakdown of connective tissue, so hours/lb may not be in the norm for smaller cuts. I've very recently moved back into the camp of lower and slower is best for me to cook briskets. I prefer the texture and tenderness of a brisket cooked at 200-225 vs 250+. Personal preference, and the point by itself will react to higher heat better due to the intramuscular fat.....

I digress......so, what's the weight of the pieces you are cooking? :)

R

Back