Smoke FIRE! first time, new EX6 start up problem.

Bob Erdman

TVWBB Pro
Well, after finishing the assembly, I downloaded the app to my phone and connected to the grill. The grill updated in about 5 minutes. All good, or so I thought. Asked the wife to come outside to witness the initial start up.

On the first attempt, the auger was trying to fill the burn pot but hardly any pellets were dispensing. After a few minutes we had smoke. 10 minutes later, no smoke, no fire. Pellets were trickling down occasionally but the glow plug must have turned off. Did a shut down of the grill. Bummer, but maybe round two will be better now that there are pellets in the auger.

Second attempt, this is where things got really interesting. Set temp to 450, few minutes later we have smoke, then more smoke, to much smoke! Did another shut down to stop the smoke, thought my neighbors would call 911 because I was rolling serious smoke. When I looked under the hood, flames were hitting the bottom of the grates. Nice big pellet fire. Thank god there was no grease to ignite because the grill is new.

Okay, need time to asses the situation before trying that again. So, my reasoning was that the hardware part of the equation is working, it must be software that is the issue. I turned off the grill and unplugged it for a few minutes.

Attempt number three, plugged it in, turned on the grill, set for 350 hit start. Success, restarting the grill after uploading software for the first time may have been needed. Silly me, whenever updating a computer I usually reboot the system. I'm no genius but why didn't I think of that earlier? LOL

I did the final burn in at 450 for 40 minutes without any problems. Shut it down, did a quick cleaning before starting my first cook.

First cook went great. SmokeFire was rock steady temp wise. When I connected to the grill with the app it said there was another update in progress but I could continue cooking. Pictures included for your amusement.
IMG_1959.JPGIMG_1965.JPG

Last edited:
First cook went great. SmokeFire was rock steady temp wise.
Glad to see you up and running.

I think the smokefire in particular is an interesting grill.

If you have the time and inclination, it would be nice to see what cooks you are doing.

I haven’t updated my software since….I don’t think I’ve updated it since I got it in November of ‘21. I figure since it’s working great for me, and it seems folks can tend to have issues after an update, I’ll just leave it.

That said, it can put out some serious smoke and flame isn’t unheard of. I suspect your second round would have gone flawless, it just ramped up and was ready to rock and roll maybe a tad too early. Maybe pellet choice plays a role in smoke?

That said, enjoy and I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. It’s my most often used and one of my top choices in terms of flavor and end product.

I haven’t updated my software since….I don’t think I’ve updated it since I got it in November of ‘21. I figure since it’s working great for me, and it seems folks can tend to have issues after an update, I’ll just leave it.
I didn't realize it was possible to not get an automatic update.

But I also don't quite understand the distinction between their software vs firmware. I would think the firmware is what is burned into the microcontroller but what does the software do that's different from the firmware?

Last edited:

But I also don't quite understand the distinction between their software vs firmware. I would think the firmware is what is burned into the microcontroller but what does the software do that's different from the firmware?
The grill updates by way of your cell phone which communicates with your grill by way of blue tooth. I believe that if you turn off internet connection on your phone, then the grill won't take an update. I'm not 100% on that, the update might comedown by way of cell service. If you never connected your grill to your phone, that would be the only way I know of from keeping it taking an upgrade.

Grill is doing another update now. I just put on two racks of baby backs at 250. SmokeFire working as expected. I'm using Camp Chef comp blend pellets, same as what I started with yesterday.

I’m no computer guy. So the difference between software and firmware is honestly lost on me. It seems the terms are at times used interchangeably.

I think firmware is more….hmm. Basic in terms of function, and software “moves” more. I have to think in terms of mechanics as that’s what I understand.

But I never hook my phone up to Smokefire

Back