Smelly package of ribs. Ugh!

Jon K

TVWBB Super Fan
Just opened a pkg of ribs that we JUST bought at Costco for $3.29/lb.
and there was a sulphur odor that came out. I washed them off and the odor remained. Now, we're either going to have to wait an couple of hours longer for dinner (go out and buy another pkg) or I'll take out a vac. package of pulled pork that I have stored and make some chicken on top of that. Bummer!

I've seen costco putting stuff back on the shelf including meats. I always wonder how long had it not been kept cold

Everything I've read says smell is not an indication of pathogens that can cause sickness. Even so, if the smell doesn't dissipate in 15-20 minutes after patting dry I'd take them back.

I would call your local Costco first and explain to them the problem.
My bet is that they will refund without bringing the ribs back, most likely will prefer that you do not.

I would call your local Costco first and explain to them the problem.
My bet is that they will refund without bringing the ribs back, most likely will prefer that you do not.

I've got the ribs in a white kitchen trash bag (along with the cryo bag they were packed in) in the freezer. I will bring them back tomorrow when I go to buy gas (possibly the best deal at Costco).

Last edited:
Everything I've read says smell is not an indication of pathogens that can cause sickness. Even so, if the smell doesn't dissipate in 15-20 minutes after patting dry I'd take them back.

After rinsing off the ribs, they continued to have the odor. They're definitely going back tomorrow.

Back