Smash burgers my way

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Emerald Member
The MRS is away, decided on some smash burgers tonight.
Picked up .7 of a pound of fresh steak pieces ground to about 75/25 ish…..heavy on the ish….
My butcher is funny, claimed it was steak ground and about 80/20 but the story changed shortly after…lol.
It could be 70/30 who knows…..anyways 4 patties here…..thinking a single quad burger, maybe 2 double burgers.
What do we think we should do?……toppings are simple mustard and pickles…burgers get American cheese of course.
Zero sides.
I really could use a griddle right about now…….

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Getting hot, a bit of bacon for morning.
This original grill is used only for this purpose, it’s dirty and rusty but that doesn’t matter.
Normal grill is the killa grilla setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpeg
    IMG_0261.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0262.jpeg
    IMG_0262.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 8
Those are going to be perfect I would only add mayo
I enjoy the mayo when I have a burger with lettuce, ketchup, pickles n mayo…like a whopper I guess…..
Trying to get Uber hot here, but using bricks instead of lump…just trying to see what I can and can’t do with bricks…..
still trying to get insane hot here, bacon is good.

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 4
No input on 2 burgers or one so we went with the quad….
It’s pretty big, can’t get my yap around it!
Half slice of thin velveeta cheese on each burger….I’ve been overboard before, this is a good ratio.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 19
Yup, your way works for me. Nicely done
Thanks Chuck…..made me chuckle.
It was really tasty also really big…I don’t eat like I use to.
30 seconds less cook would have made it a bit more juicy me thinks.
I watched her weigh it up, I had to cut her off at .7 of a pound.
put another 1.1 in the freezer to make the MRS happy in a week or so.

Also, so far with 3 cooks or so I cannot find any benefits to bricks over lump.
JD lump does everything I want it to…JD, blues hogs and Weber bricks do some things I want them to….mostly not insane hot temps.
The vortex was questionable and my chicken cook last weekend was questionable.
Doing steak and bake tonight with lump, it will be good…..I am sure….

:LOL:Great smashburgers, Darryl. Did you finish the whole shebang??
I tried, like I keep saying I don’t eat the quantities I used to…..I had enough adult beverages that I wasn’t overly hungry….
I ate all of it but maybe 2 bites….it took a while to get all that in me too…lol.
The MRS was jealous, I have been talking smash burgers every other week for a couple months….she goes away and then I show her the pictures…..:LOL:

I'm impressed at 75 I don't eat anything like I used too. I would get about two maybe three bites of that beast and it would be stick a fork in me I'm done.
Barb and I both love smash burgers got to put that on the menu, only way smaller than yours.

I'm impressed at 75 I don't eat anything like I used too. I would get about two maybe three bites of that beast and it would be stick a fork in me I'm done.
Barb and I both love smash burgers got to put that on the menu, only way smaller than yours.
These were much thicker than normal, I had to use what I had or waste fresh meat.
Take my recommendations on this one here Rich…I have made them a few times and have a bit of it mastered.
They should be really thin, cooked fast and super juicy.
Weigh them at 2oz a piece…….make doubles for each of you so you are not exceeding a quarter pounder, and that is pre cooked.
Flat cast on the gas bbq or my setup or a black stone or something similar……..HOT!….about as hot as you can make lump in vortex.
Brett gets 1100 degrees radar gun temps on his cast over the vortex…I don’t get that hot for my cook’s because that would be insanity….I don’t want a black burnt burger….I also don’t know how hot I cook mine at but it’s raging lump in the vortex with that Weber cast insert.
At 2oz meatballs, I smash it with a wide spatula like in my pics with something heavy in my other hand to smash it good. I have smashed it so hard the burger separates on the inside…this is okay…..once smashed, add salt to each piece….cook for exactly 1 minute, you should be flipping it then and still see your burger sizzling in the beef fat…..then 30 seconds on the other side while you add your American cheese….nice n melty.
This makes a juicy tasty treat. My first cook I posted on smash burgers would display most of what I just said.

These were much thicker than normal, I had to use what I had or waste fresh meat.
Take my recommendations on this one here Rich…I have made them a few times and have a bit of it mastered.
They should be really thin, cooked fast and super juicy.
Weigh them at 2oz a piece…….make doubles for each of you so you are not exceeding a quarter pounder, and that is pre cooked.
Flat cast on the gas bbq or my setup or a black stone or something similar……..HOT!….about as hot as you can make lump in vortex.
Brett gets 1100 degrees radar gun temps on his cast over the vortex…I don’t get that hot for my cook’s because that would be insanity….I don’t want a black burnt burger….I also don’t know how hot I cook mine at but it’s raging lump in the vortex with that Weber cast insert.
At 2oz meatballs, I smash it with a wide spatula like in my pics with something heavy in my other hand to smash it good. I have smashed it so hard the burger separates on the inside…this is okay…..once smashed, add salt to each piece….cook for exactly 1 minute, you should be flipping it then and still see your burger sizzling in the beef fat…..then 30 seconds on the other side while you add your American cheese….nice n melty.
This makes a juicy tasty treat. My first cook I posted on smash burgers would display most of what I just said.
Thanks for the advice, I pretty much follow that except we do 2-3 oz patties. I have a Little Griddle that I put over the vortex, don't know how hot it gets but it seems to work very well. One minute flip and 30 -45 seconds cheese on and done.

Thanks for the advice, I pretty much follow that except we do 2-3 oz patties. I have a Little Griddle that I put over the vortex, don't know how hot it gets but it seems to work very well. One minute flip and 30 -45 seconds cheese on and done.
Sounds good, wasn’t trying to be bossy but just what works the best for us……I really do find the 2oz to be the magic number that keeps the fat bubbling while you flip….juiciest possible option….mine were not weighed but based on purchased weight they were about 3oz
meat balls……I find 2oz to be much more superb….I use a kitchen scale that measures in grams to one decimal point.

Whipped up strips, baked and asparagus....great treat.
Used lump, hot n predictable.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0274.jpeg
    IMG_0274.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0275.jpeg