Small Brisket Flat

B.Lasky

TVWBB Super Fan
I want to try a brisket. It's just for me and the wife. Could I cut a flat in half and just smoke that chunk?

I guess you could, but it's best to smoke the whole thing. More mass = more moisture, and flats stall enough as it is. Plus, BBQ is as good or even better leftover. I suggest going with an empty foiled pan at higher temps, and tightly foil it once the bark is where you want it. If the flat won't fit though, sure, I guess you can cut in half or do whatever. Just use the foil and higher temps so it won't stall too hard and lose too much moisture before it's tender. I'd add some liquid to the foil of some sort.

I did a high heat brisket portion last weekend. It was around a 2-3 lb portion of flat and I started it around 350. I panicked when it hit 125 in less than an hour so I shut down the vents until the cooker hit 180. I took the temp back up to 300 and wrapped the brisket at 165 with some beef broth in the pan. After around 4 hours the meat was at 205 but still tough so I figured it was a loss and dug out the Flat Iron Steak I had planned for the next night. At around the 5 hour mark I checked the brisket just for the heck of it and it jiggled . The probe went in it like butter so I wrapped it in a blanket and let it sit for an hour.

IT WAS DELICIOUS! I now know what they mean when they say a brisket will be done when it's ready to be done. The only thing the thermometer is good for is to poke the meat to see if it's tender.

When I was at the butcher shop all they had were large flats. They suggested against splitting one for smoking. I ended up with a nice chuck roast. Treated just like a brisket. Came out great. Made some nice slices and pulled with sauce for some sandwichs.

Nice snack today. Pulled beef sliders.
14323131305_164b52c60d.jpg
[/url] image by boblasky1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back