Sludge in the charcoal bowl??

J Ross

I tried Chris's basic baby back ribs for the first time yesterday. 3 racks in a Weber rib rack. 4.5 hours with 1.5 chimneys of Kingsford professional and a full water pan. Weather was clear. They turned out great!

When I went to clean out the ash, the ash that had fallen through the charcoal grate and into the charcoal bowl had a wet sludge consistency, very unlike the dry ash that I've cleaned out in previous cooks where I did not fill the water pan.

Is typical for cooks with a full water pan? I managed to wipe all the sludge out with a rag, but I'm concerned that a.)It will harden and really mess up my charcoal bowl, and b.) that it's grease which could create a serious fire risk.

Thoughts? Thanks to all.

Bet you shut it down or let it burn out and left the full water pan inside. It makes for humidity and it runs down the inside of the smoker as it cools off. Much like an aluminum can in the hot summer.

Next time dump the water pan out. Place it back in the wsm then shut it down or let it burn out.

The water pan was not foiled - I honestly didn't think it was that big of a deal to clean it. JBooker, I think your description is probably what happened. I'm a bit nervous about removing the water pan while the coals are still hot, but that appears to be the only solution. Thanks for your assistance!!!

don't use water in the bowl.... it's really not needed.
and clean-up afterwards is a breeze....

I tried Chris's basic baby back ribs for the first time yesterday.
Thank you for trying the recipe and for following the instructions which include using water...remember, this is a beginner recipe that uses water for temp control. As you become more experienced, you can give waterless cooking a try.

If the ashes were greasy, then either the pan was so full of water and grease that it overflowed into the charcoal bowl OR the ribs extended past the edge of the water pan and the drippings went straight from the ribs into the charcoal bowl. It's not always possible to keep meat within the perimeter of the pan, and that's OK.

As for cleanup, dump out most of the dry ash, leaving some in the bowl. Use a stiff bristle brush to scrub the dry ash into the wet and then brush it out of the bowl. Any residual bits stuck to the bowl can be scraped off with the back of the brush or gently with a putty knife.

There's no risk of a grease fire unless you leave a big pool of grease down there. :)

Good luck,
Chris

The water pan was not foiled - I honestly didn't think it was that big of a deal to clean it. JBooker, I think your description is probably what happened. I'm a bit nervous about removing the water pan while the coals are still hot, but that appears to be the only solution. Thanks for your assistance!!!

A good pair of elbow length insulated grill or welding gloves makes it easy. Take it out right after you pull the food off. That way it doesn't get as hot if you leave the lid off for a while.

Thanks to all! Great advice. The ribs turned out great!

IMG_20160221_184737_zpslkris0zn.jpg
IMG_20160221_184524_zpsa76re8u1.jpg
IMG_20160221_165438_zpsx0rrsnoq.jpg

Back