Slow N sear on sale this weekend.

I start with at least a dozen lit coals & place them in the corner of the SnS, with the remainder of unlit coals next to the lit ones & all vents wide open. Once the grate temp get to 175 degrees, I close the bottom vent to about only 1/4" open, I leave the top open until at least to+200 degrees before closing it down substantially. It takes a little trial & error with this unit, based upon type of charcoal, outside temp etc. but I easily maintain temps in the 225-235 range.

Here are some directions per their web-site:

Here are some directions per their web-site:
That was my guide, but I went with fewer lit. I can only imagine if I started with a dozen.
It was spiking to over 300 again, so I added more water to the pan under the ribs.
It looks like about 1/3 of the coals are already burning after only an hour. Maybe my grill leaks worse than I thought. Snake method works fine and it limits the amount of coals going at one time.

That was my guide, but I went with fewer lit. I can only imagine if I started with a dozen.
It was spiking to over 300 again, so I added more water to the pan under the ribs.
It looks like about 1/3 of the coals are already burning after only an hour. Maybe my grill leaks worse than I thought. Snake method works fine and it limits the amount of coals going at one time.
I don't rely on my Performers thermometer, I use a Maverick for the grate & meat. Also, make sure that the vent on top of the kettle is at the opposite end of the SnS. The SnS is basically a method of the snake, the biggest thing is learning to control both the top & bottom vents to maintain the desired temps. I have a harder time getting it up to temp then you do, sometimes it takes me almost 45-60 minutes.

Never have went by the Performer's crappy therm, I use a Thermoworks SMOKE.
Top vent is opposite the SnS.
Yes it's a snake like method, but with a boatload of coals to potentially get lit.
I finally have it settled down to the 250 range.
As far as vent control, this isn't my first rodeo. ;)

I've been using the for a while. Love the build quality and love the concept. Not sure I would buy it again. A Bro-N-Sear (and a tin of water if needed) can accomplish the same thing for a fraction of the cost. I 'bought in' to the Cold Grate Reverse Sear and use that technique with great results. The cooking grate on the WSC spins easily without any modification, so the only advantage to the Easy Spin Grate is the larger fold up panel for working charcoal.

I bought the Deluxe SnS kit with the dripping griddle & its' grate, with the the Deluxe SnS with removable water trough.

I like the dripping griddle, but a disposable tin pizza tray off Amazon would work just as good, since I don't use it as a griddle.. just a drip pan (and I line to as well). I do use the grate that came with it. No complaints there.

My two complaints of the SnS charcoal basket are it's overall size and lack of a model that fits the WSC.

The only model that fits in the WSC is the small version built for the Jumbo Joe 18. I had the Deluxe from my 22 Kettle but it is about a half inch too high so the cooking grate won't sit correctly. I ended up cutting that half inch off the top lip of the SnS.

Given the 27" grill grate on the WSC and having the SnS designed for the 22, I find myself wishing the SnS was larger so it could accommodate more when searing. The SnS is one quarter of the WSC cooking area. I just made another Bro-n-Sear from my Weber Charcoal Baskets that is just a wee bit less than half of the WSC's cooking area.

Not too impressed with the SnS at the moment.
Beef ribs and brisket are the main meats I want to cook low and slow. I have a slab of 4 bone Prime short ribs going presently.
I started with about 6 lit K-Pro, then filled the SnS chamber with more. Bottom vents barely open, quart of boiling water in the tank. Within 15 minutes the temp was hitting 325!!
I put a quart of water in the empty pan under the ribs to try to bring down the temp.
Right now it's 260, I can live with that but wonder where it will go when more coals ignite.

Do some of you use charcoal that don't light off each other so easily? Maybe B&B briqs would've worked better.
Just curious, how did the beef ribs turn out & have you continued to use the SnS?

I seared a couple of strip steaks this evening with the SnS. It does do a good job. It seems to get hotter, maybe.

20210924_191923.jpg

I've been using the for a while. Love the build quality and love the concept. Not sure I would buy it again. A Bro-N-Sear (and a tin of water if needed) can accomplish the same thing for a fraction of the cost. I 'bought in' to the Cold Grate Reverse Sear and use that technique with great results. The cooking grate on the WSC spins easily without any modification, so the only advantage to the Easy Spin Grate is the larger fold up panel for working charcoal.

I bought the Deluxe SnS kit with the dripping griddle & its' grate, with the the Deluxe SnS with removable water trough.

I like the dripping griddle, but a disposable tin pizza tray off Amazon would work just as good, since I don't use it as a griddle.. just a drip pan (and I line to as well). I do use the grate that came with it. No complaints there.

My two complaints of the SnS charcoal basket are it's overall size and lack of a model that fits the WSC.

The only model that fits in the WSC is the small version built for the Jumbo Joe 18. I had the Deluxe from my 22 Kettle but it is about a half inch too high so the cooking grate won't sit correctly. I ended up cutting that half inch off the top lip of the SnS.

Given the 27" grill grate on the WSC and having the SnS designed for the 22, I find myself wishing the SnS was larger so it could accommodate more when searing. The SnS is one quarter of the WSC cooking area. I just made another Bro-n-Sear from my Weber Charcoal Baskets that is just a wee bit less than half of the WSC's cooking area.
I believe they gonna re-introduce a model that will fit the WSC.......

Back