Slow cooked 11pound rib roast???

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
This was a spur of the moment decision for Easter dinner, and we're going low in slow with this one to try to get a very evenly cooked roast. I'm just going to use a dalmation rub, and if ya'll think it's important to sear in the oven at the end, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm just going to smoke this thing til it's hopefully somewhere between medium rare and medium, and honestly, I'd rather it be closer to medium rare than medium. The folks that want it cooked more can either have the end slices or just stick their's in the microwave.

So, any ideas on how long for a 11 pound bone-in choice rib roast to reach 130* if cooking at 225-250? Does that sound like a good temp to pull at? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've only smoked one, and it was at roasting temps.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave I did a smaller Prime Rib, only once and I'm thinking you're gonna be in the six hour range. I did not sear mine. I used Oak and it was really good. Great colour too.

Dave I did a smaller Prime Rib, only once and I'm thinking you're gonna be in the six hour range. I did not sear mine. I used Oak and it was really good. Great colour too.

Thanks, Gary. That's what I'm hoping. I'm gonna put it in the wsm early in the morning before going to church, and this will be the first time I left the cooker in my wife's keep. (She's going with me to tomorrow night's worship service, but since I'm in the worship band, I still have three more services Easter morning.)

I felt bad about spending $65 on this roast until the meat manager at Publix told me that they were losing money off everyone they sold (at only $5.99) this week. Maybe so, but it was a win/win since my wife had clipped a bunch of coupons and we rolled out with two buggies worth of groceries for $300. I won't complain if a store wants to make good meat a loss leader!

I did a p.r. once. At 325. Not enough fat to do it low & slow. With the smoke, it was good (but different). I prefer it (now) with no smoke (just charcoal flavour).

Heat can go to 380 (because it got away from me) with no issues (for a short time anyways).

Do it at 325-350 and save yourself some time.

According to my cook logs; I did two 6.5 rib roasts for Christmas '11: it took 3.5 hours at an avg 300* pit temp to get to 140* internal, and two 6 lb rib roasts for Christmas '12: it took 4 hours at an avg 228* pit temp to get to 128* internal. The 140* roast was too done for my taste and the 128* was a bit under done for my taste.

Both times, I seared the roasts in olive oil using cast iron before slow cooking.

I've not done one big roast but I hope this helps. BTW, this year, I'll shoot for 133*. :cool:

I felt bad about spending $65 on this roast until the meat manager at Publix told me that they were losing money off everyone they sold (at only $5.99) this week. Maybe so, but it was a win/win since my wife had clipped a bunch of coupons and we rolled out with two buggies worth of groceries for $300. I won't complain if a store wants to make good meat a loss leader![/QUOTE]

We spend almost that for a brisket up here Dave but they're Choice briskets! The choice is Yes or No!:cool:

Last edited:
It's not low and slow but the Herb Crusted Prime Rib on the cooking page cannot be beat: http://virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html Awesome flavor. The one in the article is a 6.5# roast and it spent 2 hours on the smoker (roughly 20 minutes per pound). I would expect an 11# to take about 3-4 hours using this method.
I would not do it any other way.

Mark

Temp in this case has nothing to do with fat rendering. If you want a medium from edge to edge go for the low 225-250 range. If you want gray with a medium core go 350. To me the lower the temp the better end resault. my 2 cents.

That's the plan^^^.

But what I'd really like get more input on is HOW LONG to cook if cooking lownslow? I'm guessing Gary could be right about the 6 hr estimate, BUT...

Did I read somewhere that it's not the LENGTH, but rather, the THICKNESS of a roast, pork loin, or similar, that determines the needed cooking time? Just wondering if I dreamed this up last night or if there's actually some truth to it. ????

Awhile ago I found a "Smoking time and Temperature chart" online. For a Prime Rib medium (135) it gives an approximate cooking time of 15 min/lb @ 225-250..
I've never tried it, so can't say if that's right or wrong..
It's a PDF file and if you like I'll post it. Or just Google Smoking time and Temperature chart and that should be the first hit.

Tim

I have done many prime rib roasts with perfect results using the Cook's Illustrated method. First sear the roast in a very hot cast iron or similar pan. Season with tons of salt pepper garlic herbs etc. Roast at 200-225° until internal temp reaches 125° for rare or 130° for medium rare. it takes approx. 30 mins a lb. So the 11 lb'er will take around 5-5 1/2 hrs.
You can also sear afterwards in a 500° oven, if that's more convenient. Time it so roast can cool outside the oven for about 30 mins before putting it back in the oven for 20 mins or so.

Enjoy

Al

Thanks everyone for all the input.

From my research, looks like I need to punt on this one given the roughly 5 hr window I'll be out of pocket tomorrow. So Sherri is going to try Paula Deen's supposedly foolproof method with the roast, and I'm responsible for grilling marinated mixed veggies when I get home.

Happy Easter!
Dave

Time to temperature also depends on if you put it in the smoker directly from the refrigerator or let it come to room temperature by taking it out of the refrigerator an hour or so before the cook. So keep this in mind when using other people's recommendations.

Back