Slate Review - Meatheads AmazingRibs

Wow, way too slow and drawn out for me. I did watch it beginning to end though.
I would never buy one. I would probably never buy a dedicated griddle. My biggest take away from that is it doesn't look like Weber learned from the Summit cook box issue of the holes around the burner tubes where they come into the cook box rusting out. I don't think the steel panels will fare any better than the ones in the Summit. And most people won't even notice a problem until flames start coming up through the control panel since the griddle totally hides the burners and inside of the cook box.

I really have no idea how you come to that conclusion trying to compare a Summit to the Slate and make statements like Weber did not learn from the Summit cook box issue. How would you know its brand new again you don't think the steel panels will fare any better than the Summit what info do you have to back that up?

You don't want a griddle fine and I certainly with just 2 of us don't want one either. No need to bash the product until its been out there for awhile and the reviews have been good. Your post was part 1 of the review part 2 goes into the cooking aspect and my take certainly could be wrong they are pretty happy with the results.

I am going to be honest here I am getting a little tired of Weber bashing on this site do I think they make the best stuff in every product line for the money probably not its your decision how to spend your coin. Searwood appears solid after the Smokefire disaster, if you own a WSM or a Performer or a WSK I would say those are solid products some more costly than others. The Slate looks promising we will see and I see nothing wrong with spending 1k for it when we were a family of 4 would of got my money out of it for sure go out for breakfast these days a good place you ain't getting out of there for less than $60 bucks or more with a tip.

I don't live in the 1999 to 2005 Weber gasser world anymore and I have a Silver C its time to move on by the way can I remind everyone I think E/W burners blow IMO give me N/S any day of the week for indirect.

Just my opinion Brian. That is what forums are full of.
You make some good points. I just have my reservations on how the steel cook box panel will hold up.

And I respect you opinion on E/W vs N/S burners. Valid opinion. Some will agree, some won't. We can all hash it all out on the forum.

Don't know about the N/S burners, after 26 years with my 1998 gen 2000 with its E/W burners and my E320 with the same I sure wouldn't trade for anything with N/S burners. It's all what you get used to. Never found anything I couldn't cook on those.
But to each his own, whatever works for you use it.
As far as griddles go, I have a "Little Griddle" that works just fine on those E/W burners.

It's the penetrations in this area that are of concern in Bruce's comment above.

Untitled-2.jpg

I think it would take more than this photo to understand whether these penetrations are subject to the same deterioration as in the Summit grills. Someone with one of these griddles needs to let us know the details of this construction.

Last edited:
Yes..........I also seen this post but I do not know what is expected of me.....
I know nothing of any Weber gas grills......never had any.....don't know about the issues with some of them.
I can take instructions fairly well though.

Back