Slap Yo' Mama Pan-Fried Chicken Thighs

Teddy J.

TVWBB Pro
For my spicy chicken lover's out there; Pan-fried chicken seasoned with Slap Yo' Mama and black pepper, grilled veggies from the Jumbo Joe, and canned collards with leftover pulled pork.

0BB29426-8CC2-44B1-B37B-C869B90704A4.jpg

Your plate.

70048F83-8CFC-4D87-8070-8787AFA66602.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Thanks guys.

I was REALLY happy with how these turned out. I'm kind of a fried chicken fanatic and this would be worth making again. Mainly so I don't forget how I did it, here's the loose recipe;

1. Marinate chicken with Slap Ya' Mama seasoning (didn't really measure, but pretty liberal).
  2. Make egg wash with splash of milk, add coarse ground black pepper to wash. I used 3 eggs.
  3. Preheat cast iron skillet (I used a #9) about 1/2 full of oil to 350 degrees.
  4. Prepare flour mix; I used rice flour, and worked in some more Slap Ya' Mama seasoning into the flour.
  5. Place chicken into egg wash, and then hand batter with flour mix. I took a cutting board, made a bed of flour mix, placed the chicken on top of the mix, then gently flipped it to cover the other side. If you really get into breading these things, the flour can be too heavy/thick for my liking.
  6. Gently lay chicken into preheated oil; when I lay the chicken in, I place them in the oil upside down, and drop them in very slowly so they don't 'flatten' once they hit the bottom of the pan. I want them to still look very 'natural', if that makes any sense.
  7. Once all the chicken is placed in the oil, the temperature normally drops to around ~300 degrees, and I turn the burner up just enough so the temperature slowly recovers back to 350 degrees over the next 20 minutes or so (about how long I cook them).
  8. As the chicken is cooking, I take a ladle and continuously scoop and pour oil on top of the chicken (since they aren't fully submerged). Also, I flip the chicken every few minutes to promote as even cooking as possible. Usually once they get the color I'm looking for, I'll temp them, taking them out at 155-160 internal temp.
  9. If you are not serving immediately and try to hold them, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT in big capital letters, cover them with foil and cause the chicken to steam itself. You will lose all your hard work on getting extra crispy skin.
  10. Eat!

I suppose if you really wanted to make it better, you could sub out the peanut oil and use lard like Harold's Chicken Shack does up in Chicago, but I don't normally have that laying around (intentionally, lol).

Back