Skyline Lid

We told ya not to use hot water

pool.gif

Just one other in this thread: 3-Burner Genesis Junior Skyline Edition Thread I still have to finish the mounting holes and repaint the end caps.
Excellent! I'm thinking about grabbing one or more juniors for projects. I have quite a few projects on Deck but considering starting some juniors.

I've done some research and been able to find out where I can source parts. Not sure about grates though. Do you know of any 9mm SS grates available. Or possibly I'd have to have them custom made or cut down some myself from a larger set.

Excellent! I'm thinking about grabbing one or more juniors for projects. I have quite a few projects on Deck but considering starting some juniors.

I've done some research and been able to find out where I can source parts. Not sure about grates though. Do you know of any 9mm SS grates available. Or possibly I'd have to have them custom made or cut down some myself from a larger set.
Josh,
You can use regular Genesis grates and simply cut-off the excess width. They are identical front to back. Fairly easy to do on stainless rod grates.

The solution on burners is to use regular x000 Genesis ones and have them cut and rewelded at a sheet metal shop. There are some people selling ones made that way. Other parts can be more challenging, but the good thing is that since the Jr. (unlike the Spirit) is just a hacksawed regular Genesis (reminds me of how the AMC Hornet became the Gremlin!), there are a lot of interchangeable parts.

In restoring grills as old as these Jr. I think you have to be realistic that some of the parts will be less than perfect. A little "patina" on a 30-year-old grill is OK!

I have some extra Jr. parts that I might be interested in selling at realistic prices.

Josh,
You can use regular Genesis grates and simply cut-off the excess width. They are identical front to back. Fairly easy to do on stainless rod grates.

The solution on burners is to use regular x000 Genesis ones and have them cut and rewelded at a sheet metal shop. There are some people selling ones made that way. Other parts can be more challenging, but the good thing is that since the Jr. (unlike the Spirit) is just a hacksawed regular Genesis (reminds me of how the AMC Hornet became the Gremlin!), there are a lot of interchangeable parts.

In restoring grills as old as these Jr. I think you have to be realistic that some of the parts will be less than perfect. A little "patina" on a 30-year-old grill is OK!

I have some extra Jr. parts that I might be interested in selling at realistic prices.
What are the best tools to use for cutting these grates, and then what’s the process, if any, that would need to be done on the bare cutoff ends that remain?
Or is this something that would also need to be done at a machine shop?

Josh,

Awesome thanks Jon!
Also I just talked to Steve and his factory three-piece 9930 grates would work without cutting! Using 2 of the three pieces. So if I could find a set of those that would be amazing!

But otherwise cutting a set would not be hard either

What are the best tools to use for cutting these grates, and then what’s the process, if any, that would need to be done on the bare cutoff ends that remain?
I would probably use a 14 inch masonry saw with a carborundum blade for cutting steel. A regular stationary cut off saw isn't going to work very well. Definitely going to want I saw where either the blade is on a moving slide or the table is on wheels so that you can cut all the way through / across your grates I think that would be the easiest way to make sure you get your grates square with perfectly straight cut. Otherwise I'm sure I could take my time and use a grinder with a cut off wheel carborundum blade but either way I would use the grinder to round off the sharp edges after it's cut.

Josh,

My donor Genesis 3000 came with cast iron grates. I cut one of the two in half with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder.

4LjdSWC8xZhtIdEQQ1s7ASELVnlW8M1PKwPwQAMvlmPWVmRL0MBIuG7vfzY3BoHyXOHkUxXXw8wVkt2J67AwyJT8gyubQZIsZ0e3yxsosSOw07f50aSZN4K0PGxnGCl5K0ybID8H08w=w700

I also MacGyvered a center burner by cutting down a 1000 center burner. I crimped the end and cut a notch for the burner tube. Four years later, it's still going strong. I imagine the same could be done with the outside burners. Here's the link for the forum member making custom Jr. burners. His method is substantially more professional than my 4-lb hammer method.

q_Z_IdePVxBVYO6snFol-jJPicm7DuNP9iWg2tryH1kDFtkSE95bx8YSMWw6YkDWk__bsip4jEycBRXEC9IKSlwHxPUIYZhtPWamX_Q2AprD9Kj1aju1-q3Ipc9-SBLswmPOHISdDZo=w800

I'm looking at a free Summit right now and considering it. It's a six burner so I could cut down the grates and make at least a couple sets.

Back