Skirt Steak on WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
My neighbor has a WSM. He got it just a couple of weeks ago after having ribs that I did on my WSM. He went out the next Saturday and bought it. Anyway, last night he had me and the family over for fajitas. He cooked the skirt steak on the WSM without the water pan for three hours. It was the best skirt steak I've ever had. Falling apart tender and juicy. Great smokey flavor, he used hickory. I never thought about doing skirt steak on the WSM but after last night that's the only way I'll do it now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, I love skirt steak, it's a delicous cut of meat. Kind of chewy, and very flavorful.

I wouldn't have thought to cook it low and slow in the WSM, as it's usually grilled at high temp. Come to think of it, this cut does have a fair amount of internal fat. Might be worth a try sometime.

Regards,
Chris

Chris, I'm telling you that it was the most perfectly cooked fajita meat I've ever had. It had the consistency of a perfectly done brisket flat and the smokey flavor was fantastic. It was so good that we were just eating the meat by itself without any fixings on it.

Jim, what kind of marinade,if any, did your neighbor use on the flank steak? I use to marinade em in Wishbone Italian Dressing, a quite heavenly smell when they grilled.

Danny Hardesty

I don't think he marinaded them in anything. I think he just seasoned them with some fajita seasoning of some kind. I've told him about this forum but he only has dial up at the moment and just doesn't get on the internet that much. I talked him into getting high speed and may now he'll use this forum.

Skirt steak is from the diaphragm, while flank steak comes from the lower side of the animal.

According to "The Complete Meat Cookbook", London broil used to be a flank steak that was marinated, grilled and sliced thin across the grain, but today is any lean and less tender steak from the top round or sirloin.

Regards,
Chris

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thanks for the skirt steak info, I made it tonight and the family raved. it came out great.
I tried using london broil, chuck etc. no comparison.

-Ron

I'm going to give this a go tonight. We eat fajitas at least 3 times a month and I've been wondering about doing skirt on the WSM. Sounds awesome.
icon_smile.gif

~Dave

How is it cooked? If there was no pan I'm guessing the temp was high (300+º)? Then, I thought skirt steak was thin which leads me to believe 3 hours is a really long time. Also, if it's thin like I'm thinking, I doubt you can put a therm in it, so how do you know it's done?

Wow skirt steak on WSM...i am always buying skirt steak....dont go a week without it...very expensive by me though.. neways.. how high did you cook it at......

there is a ton of fat on this cut i just thought that if it was slow and low it was be kinda spongy and chewy unable to chew....
let us konw the temp will ya... thanks
mords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back