Simple scallops

Jim S

TVWBB Fan
This recipe ... I've been making it for at least 30 years and in never fails in being delicious. Simple ingredients... stuffing mushrooms, bacon & sea scallops. Pop out the stem on a mushroom, then put a big scallop into it. Then wrap with bacon. You can cook them in the oven, or on the WSM, whatever you feel like. The idea is to not overcook the scallop, and that's the tough part. If possible, you really don't want to tip these over, because you will get a delicious juice from everything that collects inside the cap. You can season the scallop if you like, but I like 'em plain.

That sounds awesome! I’m having a hard time grasping the time lapse between the original post and the responses.

I haven't tried this recipe, but it is from a very famous restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale that we used to go to. It is a Polynesian restaurant.

The Mai-Kai's Grilled Scallops

24 large scallops
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. chopped ginger root
1 1 /2 tsp. chopped garlic
1 1/2 tsp. lime juice
1 TB. brown sugar
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

1. Place scallops in a plastic container with lid. Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over scallops. Cover container and shake to coat scallops. Let marinate in refrigerator for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 20 minutes. Thread 3 scallops on each skewer and grill in a covered grill for about 4 minutes per side.

I haven't tried this recipe, but it is from a very famous restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale that we used to go to. It is a Polynesian restaurant.

The Mai-Kai's Grilled Scallops

24 large scallops
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. chopped ginger root
1 1 /2 tsp. chopped garlic
1 1/2 tsp. lime juice
1 TB. brown sugar
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

1. Place scallops in a plastic container with lid. Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over scallops. Cover container and shake to coat scallops. Let marinate in refrigerator for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 20 minutes. Thread 3 scallops on each skewer and grill in a covered grill for about 4 minutes per side.
I imagine that marinate would work well on chicken and pork too.

Your welcome Pat and Tim. I am dying to try this also. Last night DH got home from the store too late to try it. He just cooked the scallops in brown butter. The first time in many years for both of us. Trying to broaden our horizon. lol

We are having thighs tonight. But want to do something with mango's before they go bad. Oh, decisions, decisions, lol

(I am still working on my scallop recipes, over a hundred or more, if I find any really good ones, will share or if there are any requests for cooked a certain way or using any certain ingredient, please let me know.)

Last edited:
The Mai-Kai recipe I posted above, I found when I was working on recipes that just called for "scallops". Today I am working on recipes that call for "Bay" scallops and I found another recipe from the Mai-Kai restaurant that is completely different. This one calls for mushrooms (for mushroom lovers like myself lol) So, I thought I would share it also.

Mai-Kai Scallops Singapore

2 TB. peanut oil
10 ozs. bay scallops, well drained
1" cube of ginger root, peeled and fine-chopped
8 large mushrooms, sliced into thirds
2 TB. sherry
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 TB. oyster sauce
1 scallion with top,cut into 2" pieces and shredded into thin strips
1 TB. cornstarch
2 TB. cold water

1. In a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, add peanut oil. When hot, stir in scallops and ginger. Add mushrooms and sherry, and stir briskly. Stir in chicken broth and oyster sauce. Cover and simmer about 30 seconds. Stir in scallions. In a small bowl or cup, mix together cornstarch and water. Stir into wok mix and cook for 10 to 15 seconds to thicken slightly. If thicker sauce is desired, add 1/2 TB. cornstarch mixed with 1 TB. water. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

Source: Sun Sentinal - 8/92 - Chef Gerhard Groemmer- Mai-Kai -Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Jim, I realize that I have hi-jacked your thread without intending to. I know it has been a while since you have been here.

Chris, what should I do?

Back