Simple end of the week "Pork Steak on the Performer"

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
We came back from a leisurely walk in the park (VERY muggy this afternoon even tho' the temperatures are not too bad) and decided to do a rather quick cook. My wife, Marilyn, decided to do Zucchini Patties inside:

http://www.weber.com/recipes/veggies/zucchini-carrot-and-parsnip-patties-with-lemon-yogurt-sauce

She also opted to boil the sweet corn (I prefer grilled and she prefers boiled by a small margin and it was her turn:rolleyes:). Yesterday we were at a favored market in a small town west of here in Indiana. They have a VERY nice meat department (four live meat cutters on duty at all times, if you can believe it). I had one of the meat cutters package up some very nice pork steaks (those boys from Indiana really know their pork, I'm a-tellin' you! The steaks weighed about a pound apiece. That's about twice what my wife and I eat at one meal (we are trying mightily to retain "portion control"). So, we cut one steak in half and grilled the two halves on the Craigslist Performer (LOVE that grill!).

I decided to try to see if I could grill a couple of steaks with just one grill basket filled with coals. I lit one Weber's mini-chimney full over the Performer's gas starter and dumped in the basket. After pre-heating and cleaning and oiling the grate the steaks hit the fire. I would grill for two or three minutes and then flip. I have found that flipping seems to work better with pork steak than letting it cook until one side was finished before doing the same to the other side. In my experience, the pork steaks end up with considerably more moisture with a nice crust on the outside. I coated these steaks lightly with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a generous coat of Montreal Steak Seasoning on both sides.

When the steaks looked done, they were done.

Steaks on the Performer:

Steaks finished:

I was so eager to taste everything that I started eating before I took the "plated picture" (well, you surely didn't want me to serve you anything that I hadn't tasted, did you?;)).

The steaks were WONDERFUL, the corn was absolutely excellent, and we loved the zucchini patties (thanks Weber)!

I will NOT be using this particular set up (with the grill basket) unless I am just going to do a couple of burgers. I much prefer my two brick two zone fire method. It takes a large Weber chimney of coals but gives considerably more grill surface and more heat. I save the coals for the next time so fuel costs are not a problem. Well, it was worth a try, anyhow and didn't really hurt anything but just didn't quite measure up.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

P.S. I would like to thank Bob Correll and Jim Lampe for bringing pork steaks to my attention some time ago. I would have NEVER got there on my own but now they are tied with my favorite meat of all time. rdm

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, folks! I rather think that there will be a considerable number of pork steaks in my future. What's not to like? Great flavor, tenderness, and appearance on the plate. A real bonus is they cost less than $3.00 per lb. (can you believe that?).

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:
Delicious looking plate! Zucchini patties sound good too! Now I got to find where I can get good pork steaks!

Beautiful Dale!!
But BOB is to blame for the pork steak run on this site... he got me involved about 4 or 5 years ago. Before that, I swore them off.

Pork steaks are great we have them all the time. You cann't go wrong with them Robert, great job and the cook always has to be sure everything is ok!!! Of course you may have to try it two or three time !!!;)

how can you know when a pork steak is done: temp, time, or just experience. I love pork, but never tried the pork steak, sounds real "good"

I and my wife actually prefer the thin pork steaks (1/2"). However, 3/4" may please some folks more. I put a light coat of EVOO on both sides and use Montreal Steak Seasoning liberally on both sides.

Either one, I build a hot, two zone fire. I cook direct. I flip the steaks about every minute. When they look done, they ARE done. You may have to try a couple or three times before you nail your preference but it is quite simple.

Did I mention that they were EXTREMELY tasty! I say, EXTREMELY tasty!!

Keep on smokin',

Great looking meal for the start of the weekend. Thos zucchini patties are getting some good reviews, guess I need to try them soon. Weber has some great recipes.

Back