Simple Christmas Dinner - Tenderlicious!

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
Hi All,

With all the family members getting colds for Christmas this year the decision was made to forgo the big Christmas gathering until New Year's eve. So, it was just us four for dinner last night.

The girls all wanted tenderloin so I bit the bullet and got a whole one. It is so expensive these days it borders on ridiculous! It was absolutely delicious though. My pictures are a bit subpar for this but I was "in the Christmas spirit" early :), and my main concern was to not accidentally ruin such and expensive piece of meat!

When you get a whole tenderloin in a bag it has to be trimmed of course. It comes in the bag with a secondary muscle called "the chain". I always remove this piece because it is not part of the tenderloin. I sliced the chain into pieces and put those in a stock pot which went in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour. That created lots of Umami :).

i-6rtS497-XL.jpg

Those then created the base for our homemade beef stock which in turn became the base for our mushroom sauce to go with the tenderloin. Here it is after two hours on the stove. 3 quarts of water reduced to two quarts, with onion, garlic, celery and bay leaf.

i-85FQ3vM-XL.jpg

The the trimmed, oiled and seasoned tenderloin was left to sit out for an hour and half to come up to room temperature. A critical step.

i-jN8mH76-XL.jpg

Then on to getting the fire white hot using lump.

i-hWdVz5G-XL.jpg

The tenderloin was pulled at 118 degrees and left to rest until the internal temperature came up to 125 degrees. Perfect medium rare.

i-zW7Wk3S-XL.jpg

And finally plated with the mushroom sauce, salad and twice baked potato.

i-kVNzvXR-XL.jpg

Merry Christmas ALL!!!!!

Best,

Jose

Picture Perfect, Jose. Murray Christmas to you too!

10881725_10205677752242436_6548067115940572963_n.jpg

...pretty sure I have that exact same stock pot...

Jose, kudos! bravo! bellisimo! Well Done!

If this is "simple" I can't imagine your extravagant cooks! That tenderloin is gorgeous (and I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for every inch of that gorgeousness). Cooked to perfection. Stock and mushroom sauce is a great touch. Twice baked potatoes are one of my favorites. I can't say enough about how much I like this cook. Merry Christmas!

Jose, you nailed it. That tenderloin looks AWESOME, and I just wanna dive into your plate. Have a great new year and keep on cookin'

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

Can't see the pictures but I'm sure it was excellent as always! Have a great New Year and stay well.

Simple Christmas dinner? Damn, I want to come to your house for simple and fine dining. Hope everyone is feeling better.

Jose';
Extremely nice cook. You did WELL, for sure!! I don't believe I have seen better, ever!

Thanks for sharing with us! Lots of good ideas there,too!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back