Side burner issue

Colin

TVWBB All-Star
Back in December I bought a Genesis® II LX S-340 Gas Grill for my birthday. I had never owned a grill with a side burner but always wanted one. Well, it turns out to be not that useful. I live in Kansas and rarely does the wind not blow. I made this makeshift wind break out of an old flat cookie sheet.

IMG_20210119_164942.jpg

IMG_20210119_164957.jpg

IMG_20210119_165023.jpg

It only worked so so. Does anyone have a better solution to this problem?

Yeah sadly it's one issue with a side burner. Weber did make some on earlier grills with wind breaks built around the burner. They did work fairly well

I have my original Genesis Gold with a sideburner, and from this year a Genesis ll E330 with sideburner.
Live just outside of " The Windy City" and have not had an issue keeping it lit. Interesting solution you
have though.....

Keeping the burner lit is no problem it's getting the heat to the pot or pan. I'm thinking of fabricating something L shaped out of 16 ga. sheet metal so it will be heavy enough to stand on its own. The right side would only be about 4 inches tall so a skillet handle would clear. Has anyone on the forum done anything like this?

Yeah, the wind, and it doesn't take much, is a problem with side burners, makeshift wind blocks don't work that well, I'm thinking a round shield around the burner up to the base of the grate might be helpful, a simple cheap piece of flashing should do it...

I haven't had this issue with my side burner, since I haven't used my new to me Genesis with it yet. However, I have had this issue a lot with my MSR Whisperlite stove. If you want to fabricate something, I'd look at the various designs out there for backpacking stoves for some ideas.

Let us know what you come up with! Could be useful for a number of folks.

R

I had one of these when I used my GGA for tailgating.
Something like that should work on a side burner but you would have to weigh it down or attach it somehow.

I haven't had too many problems with my side burner. Mind you I have not used it on a regular basis. I am planning to get outside a lot more this winter so I am interested to see what everyone comes up with.

I haven't had this issue with my side burner, since I haven't used my new to me Genesis with it yet. However, I have had this issue a lot with my MSR Whisperlite stove. If you want to fabricate something, I'd look at the various designs out there for backpacking stoves for some ideas.

Let us know what you come up with! Could be useful for a number of folks.

R
Great suggestion Rich, thanks. That has me thinking of two or three hinged sections.

Yeah, the wind, and it doesn't take much, is a problem with side burners, makeshift wind blocks don't work that well, I'm thinking a round shield around the burner up to the base of the grate might be helpful, a simple cheap piece of flashing should do it...
Yep, this is my thought as well. OD of the cylinder would be just inside the inner dimension of the grate.

Thanks Geo for the idea, I'll give it a try. Cheap and easy I like. 👍

They did have a wind guard of sorts on the old Platinum side burner grills. I don't know how well they worked, but it has to be a lot better than nothing.

side burner.jpg

Thanks for the replies and ideas guys, I really appreciate them. I'll try a couple of thing and post results here. May take me awhile, weather turned cold and I'm a wuss.

They did have a wind guard of sorts on the old Platinum side burner grills. I don't know how well they worked, but it has to be a lot better than nothing.

View attachment 21571

Bruce, this is very similar to what I'm thinking of doing only round, not square and on the inside of the grate centered around the burner. The O.D. would be 7.25" x 1.5" tall. Solid, no holes, made of stainless steel butt welded at the joint. Do you think that would have a chance of working?
Many thanks for sparking the idea.

Back