Side burner for Weber Summit S-460 Liquid Propane

JoseSanchezE

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I'm in a bit of a conundrum.
I originally purchased a Weber Genesis 335 w/ a side burner for my terrace. Long story short, Weber mistakenly delivered a built-in summit S460. Now I'm of course happy for the free upgrade, and Weber has confirmed that they will not be pursuing an exchange for the original order I placed, but I was really hoping for a side burner. I asked them about the possibility of adding a side burner, and the only option they offered is to add a drop-in side burner, but that is too expensive and frankly I don't have the space in my terrace for the extra cabinet. I have looked into purchasing the 470 side burner and from what I've been able to find it would require buying replacement parts for the side burner assembly, the side burner transfer line and the hardware for the table assembly. My specific question:

1) Anyone have any experience doing this (mounting an attachable side burner from the 470 into a 460 grill)?
2) Is it possible to adapt other standalone side burners to a Summit grill?

I realize it's a very specific scenario but I appreciate any input. Weber customer service did not provide a solution, I imagine they feel salty about their delivery mishap.

No experience specific to the summit. A picture of your setup might help with suggestions.

What are your cooking needs for the side burner? I have one on my Genny E330 and I use it occasionally, but it is only a 12K BTU burner.

Do you have 120V power for your grilling area? If so, perhaps a portable induction burner is an alternative. Anyway, a picture or sketch of your grilling area would help the most I think.

Last edited:
I believe I do have a 120V power outlet that's a good idea, here's a picture of the grill itself. I'd be using the side burners for vegetables, side dishes and the occasional paella.

webergrill.jpg

I have a summit 6 burner grill, its grates are all rusted. Can you guys recommend me some quality stainless steel grates? I found a supplier names grillpartsreplacement, did you guys ever ordered from it? I need help!
A lot of users on these forums recommend buying them from David Santana (rcplanebuyer)

I’m not sure which of these listing match your exact grill but here are both:

Before investing this much $$$ in grates make sure your fire box is not rusted out and if it is be sure you can even get one for it.

I believe I do have a 120V power outlet that's a good idea, here's a picture of the grill itself. I'd be using the side burners for vegetables, side dishes and the occasional paella.

View attachment 72607
In my opinion, the Weber side burner isn’t big enough to hold a traditional paella pan due to the flip up top’s resting angle.

Additionally, I don’t think the side burner produces enough heat to make paella.

I had a summit S670 and tried to use the side burner for frying oil. Talk about a bad idea and waste of time.

I’d say the side burner is good enough only to warm a sauce pan with minimal contents in it.

Just my opinion here.

On the plumbing for the side burner, you’d have to drill in your grill’s side panel to run the small gas line off the main manifold and then have a shelf to support the burner. It’s going to be difficult to do and achieve. And IMO, it’ll look like crap when done.

If you really must have the side burner, and I will question the need for one, I’d stick with the Weber OEM solution, the drop in cabinet as it’ll come with all the parts you need/seek.

If it were me in this situation, I’d take webers offer for the free (are the offering to sell you the side cabinet or provide one for free?) drop in cabinet and give up the floor space.

You got a really nice grill for 1/2 off or better.

And you have a Weber warranty for a grill that down the road in 10-12 years might need warranty service.

And adding the Weber side burner will still take up space below the side burner, so you’re getting a free cabinet with it too. Bonus!

Last edited:
Another thing to explore is, do those side caps unbolt from the main cart/cabinet so that you could even install the Weber side burner shelf? And is there a way to run the gas line to the side burner through the shelf mount area and connect it to the main manifold?

I’d recommend getting Weber’s side cabinet install instructions to see how Weber designed it to work and then engineer backwards if you were to get the shelf with built in burner and diy that yourself.

If it were me, I’d just skip the side burner as it never had any real value to me when I grilled. Again, that’s just me. You might actually use and want the side burner.

I agree with others on the side burner. I have had two grills with one and seldom used it. A stand alone unit or a camp stove with a dedicated propane tank would be an easy solution. Looks like what you really need are side shelves or a build in surround.

Was able to deep fry, stir fry and more on the side burner on my Summit. Yes the one on the genesis is a little "anemic" in comparison but I cooked huge pots of pasta on it. All depends on weather conditions. If wind is howling nothing is gonna work.

Was able to deep fry, stir fry and more on the side burner on my Summit. Yes the one on the genesis is a little "anemic" in comparison but I cooked huge pots of pasta on it. All depends on weather conditions. If wind is howling nothing is gonna work.
Per Weber’s website, the side burner is 12,000 BTU in LP config.

I cook stir fry at home, on my cooktop which I installed during the pandemic, and my main burner is 20,000 BTU.

There is no way you’re getting any wok hei on 12,000 BTU, unless your wok is 6” diameter.

12,000 is anemic at best. You can warm up bbq sauce in 12,000 in a 6” saucier. That’s about all a side burner is worth, IMO.

If you really want side heat, get this:

GasOne B-5350 270,000 BTU Rugged Propane Burner Cooker With Regulator with Steel Braided Hose For Outdoor Cooking, Turkey Fry https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HCRRRMQ/?tag=tvwb-20

Yes, that’s 270,000 max BTU. You can cook anything on this. Even paella in a 30” pan.

I don't recall the rating on the Summit. It's been gone awhile now. But it was quite sufficient for nearly anything I needed. The Genesis one. MEH I did not do alot with it simply because the lid was in the way. But it was still useful.

Thank you all for the fantastic input. I worked it out by retro-engineering the schematics between the standalone 470 summit and my built in 460 model. Its perfectly doable as follows:

Swap original 460 bulkhead w/ the 470 bulkhead (part 70344 35$), the original won't do as it only fits a traditional corrugated line for drop-in side burners.
Attach a Weber 470 transfer line for side burner (part 70371 35$), this has a proprietary quick plug-in connector to the attachable side burner.
Attach a Weber side burner table assembly (part 66322 324$), I confirmed with videos and high resolution images that both side panels for the 460 and 470 are identical and allow for this table assembly to be installed.
Finally, install a Weber side burner assembly (part 70396 150$).

Weber did not offer to supply the drop-in side burner as it would have cost more then the original Genesis 335 I purchased ($1,320), can't say I blame them after their blunder.

I will probably go for a stand alone propane burner in the future as Brett suggested, as building a cabinet would just take up too much space and I only own a terrace in NYC, cabinets are a luxury for people with actual living space...

Thank you all for the fantastic input. I worked it out by retro-engineering the schematics between the standalone 470 summit and my built in 460 model. Its perfectly doable as follows:

Swap original 460 bulkhead w/ the 470 bulkhead (part 70344 35$), the original won't do as it only fits a traditional corrugated line for drop-in side burners.
Attach a Weber 470 transfer line for side burner (part 70371 35$), this has a proprietary quick plug-in connector to the attachable side burner.
Attach a Weber side burner table assembly (part 66322 324$), I confirmed with videos and high resolution images that both side panels for the 460 and 470 are identical and allow for this table assembly to be installed.
Finally, install a Weber side burner assembly (part 70396 150$).

Weber did not offer to supply the drop-in side burner as it would have cost more then the original Genesis 335 I purchased ($1,320), can't say I blame them after their blunder.

I will probably go for a stand alone propane burner in the future as Brett suggested, as building a cabinet would just take up too much space and I only own a terrace in NYC, cabinets are a luxury for people with actual living space...
As a former NYer I can appreciate your lack of space. One more reason I left NY.

You’ll be the boss with that Amazon propane burner. At that price and value, you can do a million more things with it than any Weber side burner.

If you’re sharing your paella recipe, I’m listening.

Enjoy your new grill and post your cooks with pics. Lots of good resources here and we’re all learning from each other.

I don't recall the rating on the Summit. It's been gone awhile now. But it was quite sufficient for nearly anything I needed. The Genesis one. MEH I did not do alot with it simply because the lid was in the way. But it was still useful.
Side burner on the summit in my driveway is rated at 12,000 BTU

Depending on the age the genny side burners are either 10K or 12K BTU

these are the grills that I have access to and their BTU output per the sticker
(approx) 1991 Genesis 3 10,000 BTU
2002 Genesis Silver C 10,000 BTU
2009 Genesis E-320 12,000 BTU
2016 Genesis E-330 12,000 BTU

I agree the 10K burners are meh.
The 12K burner is OK for a single pan, but it isn't going to get to screaming hot searing temps needed for a wok.

Well for screaming hot I use my turkey fryer LOL. That thing can just about melt the carbon steel :D But for a run of the mill stir fry the Summit got my wok hot enough to make passable food. Especially in smaller batches for just the 2 of us and did not stink up the kitchen

Back