Shredded Beef

Six hours:

8666622710_c6c6cd790b_o.jpg

8665522307_32255c5c9c_o.jpg

I think they are getting very close. Going to check again in 30 minutes, and then I think they'll be ready to pull. Got to this point a tad more quickly than I gave myself (shoot, let's be honest, I got tired of waiting and wanted to play), so I'm getting a cooler ready to keep them warm.

Wow, Matt...I'm going to do this asap..............I see what appears to be a LOT of grind. How many pounds does one get from a hind that cannot be used for anything else, or is ordered for specific recipes requiring grind. I was thinking of ordering the same and did not want all that grind. When I harvest a deer, I get about 65 pounds of very nice edible material and never have anything for grind. And believe me, there is no soft tissue left that is not excess fat...and I include the tongue and offals here. Not criticizing, now, just trying to be informed before I order the big chunk of beef.

Got back from the dinner a short while ago, here's a shot of the final shredded product. This shot was just from my phone, as I didn't feel like bringing my camera over.

8666418593_25c479ce59_z.jpg

Was super tender and my bear paws made quick work of it. This was just one of the roasts that you see here.

Wow, Matt...I'm going to do this asap..............I see what appears to be a LOT of grind. How many pounds does one get from a hind that cannot be used for anything else, or is ordered for specific recipes requiring grind. I was thinking of ordering the same and did not want all that grind. When I harvest a deer, I get about 65 pounds of very nice edible material and never have anything for grind. And believe me, there is no soft tissue left that is not excess fat...and I include the tongue and offals here. Not criticizing, now, just trying to be informed before I order the big chunk of beef.

Yeah, there's a fair amount of ground beef there. Total hanging weight of all of the things I had pictured was 182 pounds. The farm I purchased from will do about 50 pounds of it ground by default, and will then grind up some of the other cuts on request. I didn't really want the swiss steak of cube steak so I had them grind those up, so I know I'm over the 50 pounds of 'default'. If I were really motivated I could count all my packs of ground beef (they're all done one pound each).

This was the first time I've done such a thing. Have wanted to for awhile, as I like knowing where the meat comes from and how it's raised, but I've just not really been able to afford the up-front cost of such a thing before. Because it was all new to me, I relied on the staff at the farm to help talk me through the ordering process a little bit, as they described all the different options I could have with each cut.

Thanks guys!

I had to laugh while shredding it. My friend was like, "What's that red in the meat? It's safe, right?" Yes, it's been on a smoker for six and a half hours at a temp of 225-260 the entire time. That red is called a smoke ring.

That looks great. It's time to order yourself a "Meat Rake". Made my life a lot easier when pulling pork and meat. Go Tigers!

That looks great. It's time to order yourself a "Meat Rake". Made my life a lot easier when pulling pork and meat. Go Tigers!

I got a set of bear paws that really made quick work of it. Would those be similar to the product you're thinking of?

I had some bear claws and got a set of Meat Rakes as a gift. No comparison in my opinion. The Meat Rakes keep your hands away from the meat. Hence, no burns. I have no affiliation with the Meat Rakes, just thought I'd pass along my views. www.meatrake.com I had a bear claw break on one of my shredding sessions and the tip of the claw was in the meat somewhere. I had to go thru all the meat until I found it. That was no fun!!!

J Pichey;
After your comments, I visited the web site and ordered a pair of the Meat Rakes.

Matt;
That looks SUPERB!

FWIW
Dale53

Matt,

I'm starting to see a trend with your cooks. What is the Tigers record on days that you cook? We need to change something quickly. :) Maybe turn the WSM around and face it another direction? Use another set of tongs? Not a good weekend for our boys.

Matt,

I'm starting to see a trend with your cooks. What is the Tigers record on days that you cook? We need to change something quickly. :) Maybe turn the WSM around and face it another direction? Use another set of tongs? Not a good weekend for our boys.

Nothing that coming home to Detroit won't fix. I don't know why, but they always play like crap on the west coast. During a rough patch like this I always remind myself of 2003. Pretty sure they had only won a single game at this point during that dreadful season.

Those meat rakes look pretty good, BTW. Certainly like in the long run they'd be more durable than the bear paws. I think those will have to go on my list of, "Cheap, relatively easy to get gift," for my birthday this summer.

Matt, this is a really cool post. Thanks for taking the time. It looks so good that I am might road trip and invite myself over!!! I want a bite of that beef!

Back