Showing the Redhead some Love

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I don't fire up the kettle very often these days, but a recent vacation grill experience reminded me how much fun it is to play with charcoal! :) So, tonight, my redhead Mastertouch got the called in from the 'pen! I had a rib roast "cutoff" that needed to get eaten, so got after it! Seasoned the steak/roast (she was big!) with MC Holy Gospel while my coals got hot....

1716085928634.jpeg

After pouring the chimney of coals into my baskets nestled on the far side of the grill, I commenced cooking indirect. No thermometer, just some time and my experience kicking in. I flipped the steak every 7 minutes or so. After 28 minutes, she looked like this.....

1716086018789.jpeg

At this point, the IT was still low at 78° due to a late morning decision to defrost, so kept going. After another 14 minutes, she was ready to sear, so went over the hot side with vents wide open for about 3 minutes per side (coals were still hot, but not super hot.) I deemed it was done when it looked like this....

1716086106692.jpeg

Rested, sliced, plated, and ate.....and it was GOOD! :)

1716086134421.jpeg

1716086150563.jpeg

Now enjoying a nice Old Fashioned on the patio, and a lovely NorCal evening.

1716086496489.jpeg

Enjoy your weekend!

Rich

Basically an oversized ribeye?

Looks delish
Yeah, a thick cut off the "long" end of the ribeye roast. Small eye with more of the surrounding cap that is oh, so flavorful! :) I like the "short" end when I cook an actual standing rib roast, as it has a larger eye, and usually less of the large fat pockets. Grilling like this, though, long end for me! :)

R

Beautiful steak. Cooked on a beautiful grill.😍
I can't disagree, Brenda, I love the look of a red kettle. One of these days, I will get a pic of the red kettle, red Genny 1, and red Genny 1000. Then again, I haven't done it yet, so it probably won't happen! :)

This kettle was a freebie "rescue" that only needed a bit of elbow grease and a new grate to be good as "new'!

R

I can't disagree, Brenda, I love the look of a red kettle. One of these days, I will get a pic of the red kettle, red Genny 1, and red Genny 1000. Then again, I haven't done it yet, so it probably won't happen! :)

This kettle was a freebie "rescue" that only needed a bit of elbow grease and a new grate to be good as "new'!

R

Just like with dogs - I love the rescues. 😊

Enough procrastination, you need to take that pic!
Just teasing. I am the worst at following through on that kind of stuff. 🙄

looks great! that's a nice hunk o' meat there.... It does bring back memories of our Red. (Sadly, ours passed peacefully several years ago - Gone but not forgotten! :p )

looks great! that's a nice hunk o' meat there.... It does bring back memories of our Red. (Sadly, ours passed peacefully several years ago - Gone but not forgotten! :p )
Yeah, this old gal is getting wobbly in the handle weld area, and I need to work on the lid fit a little. But she cooks just like she should! :)

R

I don't fire up the kettle very often these days, but a recent vacation grill experience reminded me how much fun it is to play with charcoal! :) So, tonight, my redhead Mastertouch got the called in from the 'pen! I had a rib roast "cutoff" that needed to get eaten, so got after it! Seasoned the steak/roast (she was big!) with MC Holy Gospel while my coals got hot....

View attachment 91311

After pouring the chimney of coals into my baskets nestled on the far side of the grill, I commenced cooking indirect. No thermometer, just some time and my experience kicking in. I flipped the steak every 7 minutes or so. After 28 minutes, she looked like this.....

View attachment 91312

At this point, the IT was still low at 78° due to a late morning decision to defrost, so kept going. After another 14 minutes, she was ready to sear, so went over the hot side with vents wide open for about 3 minutes per side (coals were still hot, but not super hot.) I deemed it was done when it looked like this....

View attachment 91313

Rested, sliced, plated, and ate.....and it was GOOD! :)

View attachment 91314

View attachment 91315

Now enjoying a nice Old Fashioned on the patio, and a lovely NorCal evening.

View attachment 91318

Enjoy your weekend!

Rich
I wanna be you when I grow up.

Back