Should my Butt or Brisket be brought to room temp before I put it in my Smoker ?

I had a situation where I had one that hadn't thawed all the way and someone on here told me that they do/have thrown the briskets on while they are still partially or completely frozen.

I think that it has been said on here (or I read it somewhere else) that meat absorbs more smoke up to a certain temp so if you dont let it sit out first, it will take longer to get to that temp, ergo absorb more smoke, getter a better smoke ring. I usually put my rub on, then put back in fridge for a while, or while I am getting temps up, then go to directly to smoker

I think that it has been said on here (or I read it somewhere else) that meat absorbs more smoke up to a certain temp so if you dont let it sit out first, it will take longer to get to that temp, ergo absorb more smoke, getter a better smoke ring. I usually put my rub on, then put back in fridge for a while, or while I am getting temps up, then go to directly to smoker
Meat takes on smoke as long as smoke is present. It's the smoke ring that stops forming at about 140*

I usually will fill the charcoal ring and fill and light the chimney and then go inside and get meat ready. When the coals are ready in chimney I will put them in the ring and assemble the smoker and let it go a bit and then throw meat on. Averages 15-30 min on counter before meat going on.

I never worry about meat I am smoking coming up to room temp. Now steaks on the grill are an entirely different thing. I always let the sit on the counter to come up to room temp before grilling.

Mike

No. Directly out of fridge or out long enough just to lose it's chill while prepping. If doing a long cook by day I'll prep the night before, but pull the meat out the next morning to lose it's chill while I fuel the cooker.

Dave

I inject and/or rub my meat and let it sit out while I start my cooker.

If you let your meat warm up too much, it could become a food safety problem.

I'm doing a picnic shoulder today, it was frozen, I thawed it in my refrigerator. When I was injecting it, I could tell some parts were still frozen. When I put the meat probe in, it read 35F. It will just take a little longer to cook.

Bob

Last edited:
I've done fully frozen butts before, never tried it with a brisket.. butt I might.
Member Paul H from Indiana clued me in on that one:cool:

Back