Should I replace the grates?

Drew

TVWBB Member
So I inherited a Weber Genesis Silver C and I’ve been using it for every meal this summer the grill is from 2004 or 2005 should i get new grates based in the issues in the picture? I have already soaked it in soap and water and used a wire brush

Attachments

• 5B83B421-9F62-4E98-9010-41303A0EF679.jpeg
    5B83B421-9F62-4E98-9010-41303A0EF679.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 71
It is a little hard to tell from the pictures, but from the looks I would say they are enamel coated cast iron and the enamel is shot. Either go for plain CI or 304 Stainless. The CI are nice but require more upkeep like a CI skillet. The SS is more maintenance free. Lots of thread on grates here.

I've seen a lot worse, but as Joe mentioned above that's the enamel coating wearing off of the cast iron. I wouldn't want any of those enamel flakes to end up in my food, so I would replace them with stainless steel if it were my grill.

Yeah, those are shot and odds are you're gonna be eating porcelain little bits at a time. Not "good eats". Cast iron is "ok" but honestly no better than good large heavy stainless steel ones.

agree they should be replaced.

Grates are a well discussed ( occasionally debated ) topic.

here's my opinions:

Worst:: Porcelain enamel coated steel.

Good: Stamped Stainless Steel
- These last a long time. This style came original on some Silvers / Golds.

Better: Cast Iron
Better: Porcelain coated Cast Iron
Lots of debate for and against these. Wet climates or near the ocean seem to be harder on the CI grates.
cost on these can be high

Also Better: 7mm stainless steel rod
long lasting, downside is cost tends to be high

Best: 9mm stainless steel rod grates
very long lasting, thick to help with searing best of the best.

Depending on your climate and willingness to give lots of care between cooks, I would either go with the thickest grade stainless rod grates you can afford, or - my sentimental favorite - uncoated cast iron.

A few years ago, I did an extensive review of stainless rod grates that you might find helpful. Keep in mind that it is now out of date and that prices and availability have changed. It still gives you some good comparisons of the varied options in stainless. Towards the end of the thread, I added some reviews of newer options including Qlimetal's 9mm grates. These are probably the best you can find today, since - very sadly - Dave Santana/"rcplanebuyer" is not making his superb ones at this time.

We recently had member @LeeHarvey post about buying Craycort uncoated cast iron grates for his Genesis. They look super nice to me, but as has been pointed out already, they take a lot more work. It's worth it to me - at least sometimes - but each to his or her own.

If you cook on your grill more than two or three times a week, you should have no problem using cast iron, the greases from the food you cook will keep them seasoned. The Craycort ones shown in a recent post look awesome.

I have 9mm stainless rod grates from rcplanebuyer, but he's not making them anymore right now due to supply chain issues.

I'd say if you like the grates you have then just get a set of Craycort ones. They won't chip like yours because there is nothing to chip.

If you want to try something different, by all means go ahead!

It's all personal preference.

I did use cast iron grates before I got the stainless rod grates, and I kind of miss the cast iron once in a while. I do like how they create really great grill marks. But, when I clean my stainless rods with the Chargon cleaning tool, I don't miss cast iron at all.

Darn that’s what I thought. The grates are 17-18 years old so time for a replacement too bad Weber doesn’t offer the single brace in the middle anymore but instead when I go to my replacement parts diagram it sends me to these grates. Was hoping to keep the grates working as I inherited the Grill from my late father.

Attachments

• 23A7D40F-ED1F-49CE-9DAB-A9708E6F9978.png
    23A7D40F-ED1F-49CE-9DAB-A9708E6F9978.png
    210 KB · Views: 6
I appreciate that there's a sentimental value factor in play here, so I wouldn't fault you at all if you want to repurpose the original grates rather than throw them away, but grates are really considered a wear item - using ones that are shedding bits of enamel is really ill-advised.

Darn that’s what I thought. The grates are 17-18 years old so time for a replacement too bad Weber doesn’t offer the single brace in the middle anymore but instead when I go to my replacement parts diagram it sends me to these grates. Was hoping to keep the grates working as I inherited the Grill from my late father.
Why does single vs double brace matter?

Yes, what difference is there with that? I’d just go 304 and not look back. Mine are now almost five years old and are holding up beautifully.
17 years is a good long life, time to retire them and get something that will last every bit as long with a little care.

Yep, you don't want to ingest any of that porcelain. On both of my gassers I have bare cast iron and love them. But SS is just as good and easier to maintain.

After replacing a couple OEM sets over the years, on the Genny B.
I replaced them with GrillGrates.

Was trying to keep it as original as possible even looking. Funny I did a deep dive of Amazon and found this after my grates that Weber recommended using for replacementwhich are both listed below

Weber Series Gas Grills 7638 Porcelain-Enameled Cast Iron Cooking Grates for Spirit 300, (17.5 x 0.5 x 11.9 inches), Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQ8FZ5Y/?tag=tvwb-20

VICOOL 7526 Cast Iron Grill Grates Cooking Grid for Weber Spirit 300 700 Series, Genesis Silver B/C, Genesis Gold B/C, I - IV & 1000-5000 Grill, 17 1/4" Set of 2, HyG752F https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XQXPH2/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Stainless, and eventually a set of Grill Grates if you want the benefits of cast iron, but none of the up keep.

Was trying to keep it as original as possible even looking. Funny I did a deep dive of Amazon and found this after my grates that Weber recommended using for replacementwhich are both listed below

Weber Series Gas Grills 7638 Porcelain-Enameled Cast Iron Cooking Grates for Spirit 300, (17.5 x 0.5 x 11.9 inches), Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQ8FZ5Y/?tag=tvwb-20

VICOOL 7526 Cast Iron Grill Grates Cooking Grid for Weber Spirit 300 700 Series, Genesis Silver B/C, Genesis Gold B/C, I - IV & 1000-5000 Grill, 17 1/4" Set of 2, HyG752F https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XQXPH2/?tag=tvwb-20
I understand your desire to keep it close to original. Oddly enough, I think the non-OEM Vicool set looks more like the old time Weber grates. They also appear to have the matte finish that seems more resistant to peeling off than the smooth, shiny coating Weber used to use.

Based on your stated goal the Vicool looks like a good fit. I would do like they say and season it regularly just as if it had no coating at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your desire to keep it close to original. Oddly enough, I think the non-OEM Vicool set looks more like the old time Weber grates. They also appear to have the matte finish that seems more resistant to peeling off than the smooth, shiny coating Weber used to use.

Based on your stated goal the Vicool looks like a good fit. I would do like they say and season it regularly just as if it had no coating at all.
That’s what i was thinking as well oh well guess I’ll end up with a extra set of Weber grates now not mad about it. Do you have any suggestions on how to season them or can you direct me to a thread?

Back