Should I put a grill cover on my Weber grill?

I have a 90s Weber spirit 900 I believe and I love in Connecticut. It gets quite cold with snow in the winter and hot in the summer. I’ve heard of people that don’t put covers on their grills. I have a tight budget of $20 for a cover. Any recommendations? Thanks

Attachments

• C1DCD3BF-669C-464E-8233-77E04BCD9B3F.png
    C1DCD3BF-669C-464E-8233-77E04BCD9B3F.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 8
If you're not going to use it this winter can you store it in the garage or a shed or something? 20 bucks doesn't get much these days maybe a blue tarp and some bungees you can make a cover that might work

Get a cover that vents or is at least loose. Otherwise, it will trap in moisture from heat/cold cycles and rust the snot out of the grill.

Zober grill cover on Amazon. Multiple sizes, vented, handles. Imo much better than the Weber covers.

I like the gray ones since they don’t fade in the sun.

Put it on backwards and you hide the logo. If your grill backs up onto the house, cut a few holes on the back for even more ventilation.

Under 20 bucks.

I
Zober grill cover on Amazon. Multiple sizes, vented, handles. Imo much better than the Weber covers.

I like the gray ones since they don’t fade in the sun.

Put it on backwards and you hide the logo. If your grill backs up onto the house, cut a few holes on the back for even more ventilation.

Under 20 bucks.
think I will get this one. Does anyone know what size I should get? Either 64 or 58 inch. Should I get the 64 inch so it’s bigger and doesn’t rust?
Get a cover that vents or is at least loose. Otherwise, it will trap in moisture from heat/cold cycles and rust the snot out of the grill.

If it is too wide it will be all droopy. I'd get one the width of the grill. I can't recall the width. 52 or 54 comes to mind.
I ordered the 58 cover. I think that will be ok. A little big is not an issue for me but if I got the 64 inch that would be crazy big

A cover helps preserve your grill function and appearance. As mentioned, make sure the grill gets air to prevent rust and mold. It helps to clean and dry the grill before the cover is on for the winter. And when you get a spell of good weather, fire it up and dry out the inside. Your grill will love you back when you love your grill.

brian

A cover helps preserve your grill function and appearance. As mentioned, make sure the grill gets air to prevent rust and mold. It helps to clean and dry the grill before the cover is on for the winter. And when you get a spell of good weather, fire it up and dry out the inside. Your grill will love you back when you love your grill.

brian
I plan to use my grill all winter even in the snow. Is there any good way to go about this?

I have a 90s Weber spirit 900 I believe and I love in Connecticut. It gets quite cold with snow in the winter and hot in the summer. I’ve heard of people that don’t put covers on their grills. I have a tight budget of $20 for a cover. Any recommendations? Thanks
For what it’s worth, I live near the coast - New Jersey - and am the original owner of a 93 Genesis 1000- I used a cover for the first year or two only.

I leave it outside (and use it) all year long exposed to the elements without a cover- for the past 27 years or so.

Yes I have some rust on the frame members, and have done one renovation this past spring, but it’s still relatively solid and still in use-

DAF9483D-D5C0-472C-869B-764AF187C84A.jpeg

I think the cover is mostly a dust cover. It obviously won't help with the heat and the cold. It might help with rust, but it might not. I expect it would keep the color on the top of lid from oxidizing.

Where I live, the tree pollen will sometimes completely cover the grill cover, so it does help keep the grill clean.

If you really want to take care of the grill, bring it inside when you're not using it.

Yep, I keep my grill in the garage. But if not, a covered outdoor porch or something like that is the best solution. I personally would not cover my grill outside. I did at first when I was leaving it outside, but I would go out at noon and a cool morning and pull the cover off and it would be wet inside. We hadn't had rain since the last time I used it. I realized quick that the grill was sitting in the sun during the day and getting all warmed up in the black cover. Then it would cool down and the dew point would bottom out at night and the moist air would condense on the grill. So, it was basically like the grill was getting rained on every evening and then covered to hold it all in.
Unless you have a very well vented cover and one that does NOT go all the way to the ground, you are better off without one. Even then, I would probably still go commando on the grill.

Just grab one off Amazon. You would be amazed at how high quality and cheap price you can get one for. I just bought one for like $11 and outstanding quality, heavy, vented, zipper plus velcro. I use them in the winter mostly just so ice and snow don't accumulate

Just grab one off Amazon. You would be amazed at how high quality and cheap price you can get one for. I just bought one for like $11 and outstanding quality, heavy, vented, zipper plus velcro. I use them in the winter mostly just so ice and snow don't accumulate
At $11 with all those features, I would be thinking about buying more in different sizes for lawnmowers, garden tractors, bicycles, firewood, patio furniture, kayaks, kid toys, etc.

At $11 with all those features, I would be thinking about buying more in different sizes for lawnmowers, garden tractors, bicycles, firewood, patio furniture, kayaks, kid toys, etc.
Yeah, I went on Amazon and the one I bought shows not available already. But, with some careful "hunting" like ones are easy to find

My grill is on a covered porch. I only cover during our heavy Spring pollen. I completely agree that you need care even with a good cover to ensure you don't get condensation under it to promote rust and mold.

No cover on our active year round grill. The grill gets partial sun and no trees near.

In Southern New England keep the grill away from the pines and oaks. The oak leaves are acidic and the pines drop sap and pine needles. The grill will grow moss and turn green under the shade regardless of a cover.

Back