Should I get a WSM??? HELP!! I can't make up my mind

Andrew16

TVWBB Member
Hello All,

I am having sleepless nights over this topic and turn to you to for some help. I already have a Weber Performer and love it! I have smoked BB ribs on it now a few times and they turned out great. Now I am debating on taking smoking a little bit more seriously, and therefore starting to look at the WSM’s. I’m not sure If I should get a 18.5 or 22.5 since I haven’t done many smokes in the past. We don’t usually grill for a huge number of people (maybe 6-8) and not all the time. Would an 18.5 suffice? I would also like to know what the selection of things are that could be smoked. I see a trend towards ribs and brisket only. Are there more varieties to make it worth owning a smoker?

Any help on Size, if I should get one, what to smoke, etc, would be great!

Thanks to all!

You can cook anything in a WSM that you cook in your oven. I think of my grill as an out door stove and the WSM as an outdoor oven. I've baked bread, cookies, roasted Turkeys, chickens, meatloaf, fish, etc, etc. ck out this link: http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

Size is a personal decision. I went with the 22" because I figure I can cook smaller amounts but if I were to get the 18" I would be limited. The footprint is not larger than my 22" OTS.

Last edited:
My suggestion, fwiw, is to get the 22 and purchase a charcoal ring for the 18. When you aren't cooking as much, use the 18's ring. You can always just not fill the 22 ring quite as full, but I think it works better for me to use the smaller ring when I'm using less charcoal.

As Dwain said, what you can cook in it is only limited by your imagination.

Yes get one. I got the 22 because I figured too much room is better than not enough. But you will use more fuel.

I would get the 18.5
Once you start researching what to smoke on this website you will be glad you did get a WSM.

Yes you should get one. The size is up to you. Personally I have the 18 and that is more than adequate for me and the wife and our kids when they visit. Most times I only use the top rack. And seriously , as dwain said.....ANYTHING ...
i see people smoking meatloaf , chicken , macaroni and cheese , lasagna , baked potatoes....bread , pizza, beans , ribs , brisket , pulled pork.....honestly the list goes on and on. If you get one , you will not be sorry. I love mine. And don't forget , you will still have your performer if you are cooking for a.crowd.....so with both racks of the 18 and your performer , you have a lot of cooking space AND that lets you grill and smoke at the same time.

Last edited:
I am a proponent of the bigger is better theory in this case. I like the 22 because it allows me to not have to squeeze larger cuts onto the grates. And you can always go with the smaller 18 ring like was mentioned above to save on fuel.

I was debating between the 18.5 and 22.5 and ended up with the 22.5. After I received my 22.5, I saw the 18.5 in Lowes. I instantly knew I made the correct decision. The small door for the lower grate alone seems like a nuisance on the 18.5.

I'm 6'3 so the height of the 22.5 is perfect for me and it doesn't seem too big. I always have enough room for chicken wings, thighs, a whole chicken and a pan of veggies or whatever I want to fit.

I was worried if I got the 18.5 I would feel cramped when cooking. I'm sure glad I went with the 22.5 and don't feel like I'm ever wasting fuel.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I am having sleepless nights over this topic and turn to you to for some help. I already have a Weber Performer and love it! I have smoked BB ribs on it now a few times and they turned out great. Now I am debating on taking smoking a little bit more seriously, and therefore starting to look at the WSM’s. I’m not sure If I should get a 18.5 or 22.5 since I haven’t done many smokes in the past. We don’t usually grill for a huge number of people (maybe 6-8) and not all the time. Would an 18.5 suffice? I would also like to know what the selection of things are that could be smoked. I see a trend towards ribs and brisket only. Are there more varieties to make it worth owning a smoker?

Any help on Size, if I should get one, what to smoke, etc, would be great!

Thanks to all!

Andrew,

The guys have given great feedback. But I believe the Cajun Bandit Stacker is another option to consider. I believe it provides the best of all worlds.

http://cajunbandit.com/

1. Use your existing Performer, with no need to tie up deck or back yard/patio space with a part-time cooker.
2. Same diameter as the big WSM (22.5 inch diameter cooking space; larger than the 18.5.
3. Cheapest smoker option at only $159.00 + shipping (I know the base Stacker is $139, but you'll probably want the ring and deflector for 20 bucks more. After shipping price is still about $100 cheaper than an 18.5" WSM.
4. Made of stainless steel so no rusting, chipping to worry about.

I don't have one of these because I don't have a 22.5" kettle, but if I come across another kettle or a Performer at a decent you can bet this will be the first accessory I buy for it. Here's a pic I copied from another site showing the stacker in action. Just another option to consider.

chicken-ribs.jpeg

You should definitely get the WSM. I have an 18.5 for my wife and child. I entertain all of the time and I find that it can cook plenty and also save fuel in comparison to the 22.5. 18.5 all the way.

I knew I could count on all of you for some great feedback!! Thanks a lot! This does help me get closer to joining the smoker group.

W. Tyler, thanks for the tip on the Cajun Bandit Stacker. I have never seen this before and it is definitely and option to consider!

Thanks again to all!! Much appreciated.

In the same situation as you, Andrew. Feeling the want for a 22,5 to be able to host bigger bbqs etc, but also the logical feeling of seldom being more than 8, which makes the 18,5 feel like a pretty good idea.

Also, charcoal cost. The 22,5 seems to use way more coal, no matter whether you use a smaller coal ring or not. Question is just how much more coal? :D

In the same situation as you, Andrew. Feeling the want for a 22,5 to be able to host bigger bbqs etc, but also the logical feeling of seldom being more than 8, which makes the 18,5 feel like a pretty good idea.

Also, charcoal cost. The 22,5 seems to use way more coal, no matter whether you use a smaller coal ring or not. Question is just how much more coal? :D

Yup, it's really not an easy decision! Charcoal is not cheap out here in Germany either. Plus I don't want to buy one and use it only a few times a month since we are a smaller group.

I went through the same struggles deciding on size and ended up going with the 22.5" WSM. VERY glad I did!
I don't always fire up the WSM though --- I built a mini for times I want 1 pork butt or 1 chicken. If it's just a single rack of ribs, I fire up the Performer.
There's really no right or wrong decision and that's why both are in production & available. :)

Hi Andrew,

You have received GREAT advice already, so I am just going to share my personal experience with you on them.

I have a 22.5 & 18.5 WSM (also built & use a Mini WSM).

22.5 - Accommodates Larger than normal cooks. I use it 2-3 times a year. Its HUGE, and it does use its own share of fuel.
18.5 - Very accommodating to more frequent smokes (family smoke / cook outs). I have only had it for less than a month, and now that my schedule is more flexible can easily see using it at least once a month. Totally efficient & robust for me.

Now that I completely forgot the Cajun Bandit stacker route (thanks W Tyler :), and do own a weber performer. I would have gone down that road. I believe I can also add extra cooking space (grate) by simply utilizing 2 fire briskets and resting them on their side on top of the diffuser. I am assuming that I can since I have never actually seen a top view of the CB Stacker.
Good luck.

Back