Shot Gun Shells

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
IMG_1229.jpeg

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1227.jpeg

I have seen these on a couple people’s YouTube and thought I’d give it a go. Trying to mimic Meat Church but not 100% a change here.

1# of 90/10 ground beef
5 sweet Italian sausages cases removed. About a #
8oz of cheese mix
1# of the thinnest sliced bacon
A pack of Manicotti shells
Lightly dusted with BBQ Pit Boys SPG

Into the fridge for 4-5 hours.
Enough stuffing left over for 4 decent sized burger patties

I’ve never done these but have been tempted several times.

My brother in law dissuaded me saying the pasta was tough for him on his attempts. I don’t know what he did.

I’ve done them and the trick I use is to make them up the day before and put the filled rolls back in the trays and stick them in the fridge overnight, if the stuffing mix is dry a teaspoon of water will make it a little easier to fill the shells and the added moisture helps the shells cook more evenly. I need to make those again!

They went back in the fridge for 5 hours. I should’ve prepped the night before but my lazy @$$ with the rain. Nothing but excuses

They went back in the fridge for 5 hours. I should’ve prepped the night before but my lazy @$$ with the rain. Nothing but excuse

Very interested to see how these turn out. With our altitude and extreme dry air partially cooking the pasta a little may help.

Yes the shell is a bit chewy. I think next go around will be a little water for moisture and maybe extra wrap of bacon? More moisture? It was still demolished 😉

I found that the water was a big help, does not take much a teaspoon or two. If you use pre shredded cheese, you really do need it, the anti cake additive just dries it out.

interesting - I would think if the pasta wasn't fresh, it might need to be pre-boiled to al dente, cooled, then stuffed? Cool cook though for sure!
Stuffing an al dente manicotti shell is going to be a lot like trying to put a condom on an oyster.
Trust me the additional moisture in the stuffing and overnight in the fridge works very well.

Back