Shopping Costco For Barbecuing & Grilling

I was at Costco in Gaithersburg Maryland last week looking for a Prime brisket and there was a big pile of them, maybe ten of them. I started going through them and was a little surprised that the biggest one was only 14 lbs. Range was 8-14 pounds for whole prime briskets. Usually they are bigger than that. $3.99/lb. I really wanted more like an 18 lb brisket, so I started wondering if I could do two small ones. As I went through them, I noticed something - the print on the back of the cryovac was BLACK. Then I read it. USDA CHOICE. Do'h! They had mis-labled and mis-priced every brisket in there! I told the meat guy and he thanked me and started taking them to the back to relabel them. Gotta pay attention!

So I bought some baby backs, some st louis ribs, and some fresh swordfish for supper. The ribs were $2.79.

Went to Costco in Frederick still looking for Prime brisket and all they had was Choice.

Went to Sam's Club in Gaithersburg the next day looking for Prime but all they had was Choice. Ended up buying a 16 lb whole choice brisket. $3.29. It's been about four years since I wasn't able to find a prime.

Video shows short rib plate in the meat rack! That's a find! They are hard to find in many places, even in Texas.

Video shows Top Sirloin Cap in the meat rack! That's another name for Picanha although it probably will need some trimming. I love picanha and in many places, it's hard to find, so I hear.

Video shows tri tip! Also hard to find in many areas.

Video shows American WAGYU! This must be the best Costco in the nation!

Re the salmon, it'll be salmon season in about a month and that's when they jet fresh wild sockeye and other types from Alaska and the Pacific Northwest to all over the country. Nothing better! I like to get a whole one and smoke it on my offset.

Thanks for the vid!

Last edited:
How in the world is Costco that empty.
I went on a Saturday...maybe that's why, but that is when I get free time......anyways there was as many people looking for a parking spot as there was parked and the lot was full.
2 Line ups from the registers to the back of the store where the meat is.......
Must have been a thousand people there I swear.
Makes me mental, and I just got my membership a month ago and do not want to go back.

I waited at the end of my driveway (to shorten your commute) for you to take me to Costco but it didn't happen :(

Thanks for your very informative, detailed review. This is also timely for Mother's Day! You perform impossibly perfect work for us--most often behind the scenes--so I love being able to see you in a video, occasionally.

If you're referring to the photo of my Costco entrance, I don't know how I caught the entrance looking so empty. I go midweek around 1:00pm and it's busy but not super crowded. Checkout lines are really short or I go straight to one of the self-checkout stations.

Darryl -- my Costco closes at 8:30 during the week. I typically go at like 7:30.

The place is so empty and quiet. Such an enjoy-able zen-like experience.

No lines even at the gas pumps! Parking spots right by the front door!

If you're referring to the photo of my Costco entrance, I don't know how I caught the entrance looking so empty. I go midweek around 1:00pm and it's busy but not super crowded. Checkout lines are really short or I go straight to one of the self-checkout stations.
I should take it on to bring a photo device next time I go.
No one on here would believe it.
1 line on each side of the middle racking area to the check out....easily 40 carts long....all the way to the back of the store...no jokes...it is insane.
It feels like my meats will spoil by the time I get it in the car...then the drive is 30 minutes home.
If there was 200 cars parked there was 150 cars in a traffic jam looking for spots....and people cannot navigate the parking lot for some reason.

Thanks Chris really enjoyed that nicely done informative video. Barb and I are fans of Costco, except for the fact I can't ever get out of there without spending a couple hundred bucks.
I would go weekly if it only cost me a couple hundred.
Been there 2 times this year, combined was about $1250........didn't even get to stock the freezer yet......😢

I went on a Saturday...maybe that's why, but that is when I get free time......anyways there was as many people looking for a parking spot as there was parked and the lot was full.
2 Line ups from the registers to the back of the store where the meat is.......
Must have been a thousand people there I swear.
Makes me mental, and I just got my membership a month ago and do not want to go back.

I try to avoid costco on weekends, especially for my larger shopping trips. I find a weeknight 30 to 45 mins before closing is a good time, yet I think this means I'm missing out on some meat offerings that may have run out for the day.

1 line on each side of the middle racking area to the check out....easily 40 carts long....all the way to the back of the store...no jokes...it is insane.
It feels like my meats will spoil by the time I get it in the car...then the drive is 30 minutes home.
If there was 200 cars parked there was 150 cars in a traffic jam looking for spots....and people cannot navigate the parking lot for some reason.
Sounds like you need more Costcos in your area to off-load some of the congestion!

Evenings before closing is definitely less crowded.

We joined “Price Club”in 1992, and memberships were limited. My wife was working for a bank at the time which is how I remember we qualified.

It later changed the name to Costco. I guess it’s the same company?

I try to avoid costco on weekends, especially for my larger shopping trips. I find a weeknight 30 to 45 mins before closing is a good time, yet I think this means I'm missing out on some meat offerings that may have run out for the day.
early on Sat and Sun is okay. Once 1130/12P comes, you're stuck in the masses. and any weekday from open till noon is also empty. gas lines are pretty much empty from 8-930A weekdays. that's my fill-up time, usually.

The Burlington Costco is no different than what you are describing , it was far worse during the covid 19 scare , the shopping carts were backed up as far back as the meat dept. 2 lines abreast and not uncommon to wait 25+ minutes to check out. I find the best time to shop is around dinner time weekdays 4:30 -6:00 pm , and on weekends I avoid Costco like the plague.

Last edited:
I get there 10 minutes before it opens in Saturdays. In and out, $200-$300 later.
I love Costco though. I think they have some great stuff and I like the prices enough.

Sounds like you need more Costcos in your area to off-load some of the congestion!
The Burlington Costco is no different than what you are describing , it was far worse during the covid 19 scare , the shopping carts were backed up as far back as the meat dept. 2 lines abreast and not uncommon to wait 25+ minutes to check out. I find the best time to shop is around dinner time weekdays 4:30 -6:00 pm , and on weekends I avoid Costco like the plague.
I decided to go on a Saturday my first visit........I showed up 5 minutes after the doors opened....there must have been a line longer than I could imagine.....this is when the parking lot was a traffic jam, I couldn't believe it....

Now Chris, this is a newly built COSTCO....right across the street from the old one. Population is about 420,00 and there is 2 COSTCO's on either sides of town. This is the closest major city to where I live, about 30 minutes away.....now it's on the south side of town so everyone that wants to go that lives from Detroit boarder to about 3 hours west of the boarder would go there before they hit another city that would have a COSTCO. It is a large area to cover but not everyone is a member.

I am not a fan of crowds or not much of a fan of people to be honest so this is overwhelming for me.
I don't have much of a choice unless I drive over an hour to the next closest one.
I would enjoy stocking up Brett style......like about 25 pounds of pork belly, 25 pounds of skirt steak, 50 pounds of each brisket and shoulder.....
I am surprised the MRS will still go with me....

Back