Shining Up Lid

Hello everyone. I recently bought a weber skyline and the lid is dull. What is a good way to polish it up?

Attachments

• IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 41

Try cleaning with 0000 steel wool as suggested. If you're left with white, cloudy areas in the finish, that can't be fixed.

This one is a bad example:

I am sure that is the Weber fade. But, if it is just spray paint, the steel wool and cleaner will take it off.

Mark, are you saying that will get rid of the fade? If so, can it be done by hand or do you have to use a power polisher?
I would like to see a "before and after".

Mark, are you saying that will get rid of the fade? If so, can it be done by hand or do you have to use a power polisher?
I’ve tried the steel wool on it. Still had some fade to it I believe.

Attachments

• 3E19201E-F6A3-4982-A75C-C36B2D66BAD3.jpeg
    3E19201E-F6A3-4982-A75C-C36B2D66BAD3.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 4D4BDADE-333D-4952-B9E2-978AC919021C.jpeg
    4D4BDADE-333D-4952-B9E2-978AC919021C.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 45

>>sometimes....but not always....depends on amount of fading. if severe...i've had about 1/2 the bad fade shine up real nice. either way, for a knock out shine use both applications...compound then polish. if hood is in ok shape then just polish...always buff after....i also polish my control panels. if hood in good shape, you can get get away w/ hand polish...but...once i discovered the orbital...nothing beats it...here are a few before after from a real beat up/faded blk Silver A hood i did.

Attachments

• silver a after compund-polish.jpg
    silver a after compund-polish.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 54
  • silver a after compund-polish2.jpg
    silver a after compund-polish2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 53
  • silver a before compund-polish.jpg
    silver a before compund-polish.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 54
  • silver a before compund-polish2.jpg
    silver a before compund-polish2.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 54
Very nice Mark. I just don't know if I want to invest in another tool. I had a nice orbital polisher for my truck. Did it once and then decided, the drive through car wash was going to be easier.

Are those before pictures of the lid before you did anything or is that rubbing compound on it?

That's good advice, Mark. Hard to beat those results. I have hand polished, but next time I am going to try your exact method. Your grills always look like they should be on display with the Duesenbergs and Bentleys at Pebble Beach!

I do know from experience with my Skyline that the fade that is really deep in some of the black hoods cannot be removed. You can make it look nice when the wax is wet or do like some and apply a little bit of Pam, but once it is dry it comes right back. Larry says it is not like oxidized paint on a car but within the porcelain itself. I know you should never use paint on a porcelain hood other than maybe for a very small repair, but it is tempting to try sometime applying a quality clearcoat just to see what happens.

Jon, I think that might be what the polish is actually doing. I think it is like a hard liquid (pam or water) coating that sticks around longer than the water or oil. It isn't really fixing the problem, but rather hiding it.

Bruce, If you want they sell a drill attachment that works well from the reviews I read. Meguiar’s sells it.

Attachments

• 9900FDD6-C4EB-4081-B04B-AD5005C5CD5A.png
    9900FDD6-C4EB-4081-B04B-AD5005C5CD5A.png
    493.1 KB · Views: 18
Those before photos don't look like fade but filth more than anything. I would like to see something with actual fading/clouding done like that as I don't think they can really be brought back since the fade is in the actual color dye of the porcelain

Those before photos don't look like fade but filth more than anything. I would like to see something with actual fading/clouding done like that as I don't think they can really be brought back since the fade is in the actual color dye of the porcelain
Larry, are you saying it comes from the factory that way?

Back