She Said Yes!

craigslist, buy used. eventually, they all wind up in the garbage. i speak from experience. find someone who is moving and cannot take theirs.
Been looking. Seeing nothing but trash that is over priced. Then there is figuring out how to transport. So new and delivered is looking like the way to go

I do think I have figured out part of what is up her sleeve. Grandson told her he's really love to have a basketball hoop at his mom's house. So, now she's trying to convince me it's "OK" to drop nearly $500 or more on a basketball hoop. Yikes! I had no clue those things cost that kind of $$$ until he started me searching for one for him. I saw some over $3k! I get grills not basketball hoops
Suck it up you got a grill out of it which I assume cost a grand or whatever. You were going to fork out the money for the basketball hoop anyway losing battle to argue with the wife so you could have ended up with no grill and forking a grand out for the basketball hoop. Unfortunately your out 2k now. :)

Suck it up you got a grill out of it which I assume cost a grand or whatever. You were going to fork out the money for the basketball hoop anyway losing battle to argue with the wife so you could have ended up with no grill and forking a grand out for the basketball hoop. Unfortunately your out 2k now. :)
Ahh, thanks to the magic of Sam's Club, the grill was only $650 out of pocket :D We never intended to spend in the stratosphere for the hoop. I was simply shocked at how much SOME of them cost. I found a couple very nice looking Lifetime hoops for $250 to $325 (depending on type and size of backboard) that I think will work just fine.

I would consult with your grandson and see what he wants, you might think the 250 to 325 units might be fine but he might not think so. Better to buy once than twice.

I would consult with your grandson and see what he wants, you might think the 250 to 325 units might be fine but he might not think so. Better to buy once than twice.
I think he'll love whatever we buy him. After all he's been loving the one we have here. We got it for nothing, the backboard is crooked, it wobbles, we cannot adjust the height as it's too rusted. But he loves playing on it. I'm sure he'll be fine. Even if I found a way to move this old junker from here to his mom's house. After all he lived here with us most of his life with that old junker LOL. (the hoop not me). He just likes goofing around. He's not serious into basketball. He's really into soccer. He's on the school team, and the other thing he wants to go out for is track.

I think he'll love whatever we buy him. After all he's been loving the one we have here. We got it for nothing, the backboard is crooked, it wobbles, we cannot adjust the height as it's too rusted. But he loves playing on it. I'm sure he'll be fine. Even if I found a way to move this old junker from here to his mom's house. After all he lived here with us most of his life with that old junker LOL. (the hoop not me). He just likes goofing around. He's not serious into basketball. He's really into soccer. He's on the school team, and the other thing he wants to go out for is track.
then tell him HBD and enjoy this one:

see if sams has one. the backboards are shatterproof until they shatter. the UV rays will wear down the backboard over the years and then they break. it is what it is. hope the young man enjoys his nice gift. that's all that matters.
Sam's has 2. One that's like $800 and very well reviewed and one that is about $200 and reviews show it to be total junk made in China. Nearly all the Lifetime brand ones are Made in USA.

I wish. LOL. He's gonna be 13 in about 3 weeks. And in 9 days his mom will be 33. Looks like he may get this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G62SDU/?tag=tvwb-20
I had one very similar to that for years until my son just didn't use it anymore and I got tired of looking at it. It was still in excellent condition and I sold it on OfferUp for like $75 so I can totally recommend Lifetime brand.

I had one very similar to that for years until my son just didn't use it anymore and I got tired of looking at it. It was still in excellent condition and I sold it on OfferUp for like $75 so I can totally recommend Lifetime brand.
Thanks, it does seem they're the best reviewed from the low end to high end

I used to keep ours filled with water as ballast. The water would evaporate or leak out and then the wind would blow the whole thing over onto the driveway. The backboard never shattered, I just stood it back up and refilled it.

We've had the prior version of this one since 2019. It doesn't have the plexiglass back so it won't shatter, but it might not be "as good" as the other ones. Teach the kid to shoot swish shots and the backboard doesn't matter.

I think I am going to have to spring for one of the higher end ones. EZ adjustment seems to be a priority from my capo de capo. Because Blake seems to be growing like 2 inches a week, and he's got 2 little sisters coming up fast behind him (one 2 and one 7 mos) And the 2yo is absolutely smitten with her big bro and tries to do what he does

Well the saga of bad shipping continues with Sam's. They insist on using Estes Delivery. Yesterday Estes called me re the new grill Sam's ordered and was shipping out to me to replace the one Estes damaged as noted earlier in this thread. Woman indicated the grill would likely come some time next week. Outta the blue today, no call or warning while I was up in Spring Grove IL, 2 guys drop this thing on my patio, don't even bother to ring the bell and take off like a bat outta hell. Mean time the grill is shipped AND delivered standing on end (heavy side up) the box is pounded down and flattened on one side. Yet again! I am beside myself here
1685661282551.jpeg

Back