She Said Yes!

Some things just aren't meant to be delivered. Let's just say I decided to buy a new Weber grill from my local Ace hardware. They would be happy to both assemble and deliver the grill to my house free of charge. I would not take them up on either offer just for this reason.

Some things just aren't meant to be delivered. Let's just say I decided to buy a new Weber grill from my local Ace hardware. They would be happy to both assemble and deliver the grill to my house free of charge. I would not take them up on either offer just for this reason.
In my case, delivery was needed, a 200 lb smoker was just to much for me to handle on my own. I took the free delivery and assemble from Best Buy knowing if there was any problem I could just have them take it back. The two guys that delivered my EX6 had never assembled one before. I told them just install the legs and I would take it from there.

If I got a drive by delivery, like Larry, and saw a damaged box, I would be pissed too.

Yeah Steve, gotta keep in mind this is a HUGE box as long and wide as a dining room table. Weighs over 250lbs No word yet from Sam's. I spoke to the shipping company yesterday. "oh we're so sorry have a nice day". Also there are no stores where this brand is sold face to face. Even if there was I would need a full sized van or truck (neither of which I own.
Same thing would hold true if I had bought an EX6. The Highlander is a pretty large 3 row SUV but it ain't THAT big. Gonna talk to Sam's today.

Yeah Steve, gotta keep in mind this is a HUGE box as long and wide as a dining room table. Weighs over 250lbs No word yet from Sam's. I spoke to the shipping company yesterday. "oh we're so sorry have a nice day". Also there are no stores where this brand is sold face to face. Even if there was I would need a full sized van or truck (neither of which I own.
Same thing would hold true if I had bought an EX6. The Highlander is a pretty large 3 row SUV but it ain't THAT big. Gonna talk to Sam's today.
U-Haul van rental. I’ve done this many times.

It’s the ghost of George Stephen Weber messing with you for claiming the Weber factory was a ghost town and more than 90% of Weber grills were made in China…lol

U-Haul van rental. I’ve done this many times.
Again, where would you go when no stores carry the item? Sometimes you just gotta rely on a delivery service to get it done. Also, even if you get a van/truck, you then gotta arrange "bodies" (not easy) especially when most your local friends have passed on. Easy to arm chair quarterback. Would love to be able to do this stuff myself but it just ain't possible all the time

Again, where would you go when no stores carry the item? Sometimes you just gotta rely on a delivery service to get it done. Also, even if you get a van/truck, you then gotta arrange "bodies" (not easy) especially when most your local friends have passed on. Easy to arm chair quarterback. Would love to be able to do this stuff myself but it just ain't possible all the time
I’m not armchair QB’ing. I’m an active problem solver which I basically do every day for a living.

I’d arrange bodies to help with the offload, think local high school kids or some neighbors. I’d speak with Sam’s Club and arrange to get the unit from their distribution center and have them load it into the van. I’d also visually inspect the unit before taking possession of it to ensure it’s not dented.

Sometimes you have to take ownership of your results. Iirc correctly, Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time.

Or you can keep ordering and reordering and either Sam’s will stop taking your orders/returns or Sam’s will choose to solve their problem.

Eventually one of the parties will run out of time, emotional patience and surrender. You can only drive in circles for so long.

I only wish you the best of luck here. Plan your work and then work your plan. Life’s too short to be unhappy.

Massive PITA. Hopefully it is OK, I had the same problem when I bought mine from Weber. Seem like these things should be shipped strapped to a pallet, because off the pallet they get pretty beat up

Massive PITA. Hopefully it is OK, I had the same problem when I bought mine from Weber. Seem like these things should be shipped strapped to a pallet, because off the pallet they get pretty beat up
The numbskulls that delivered this one would have done it wrong no matter what

I'm kinda surprised because we used Estes with shipments from the east coast.
But I do notice that sam's club uses whatever they can to do deliveries.
I've had trucks or cars show up at 4.30 am literally dropping off boxes.

I'm kinda surprised because we used Estes with shipments from the east coast.
But I do notice that sam's club uses whatever they can to do deliveries.
I've had trucks or cars show up at 4.30 am literally dropping off boxes.
Yeah, spoke to Sam's today. They said go ahead and open it. If damaged they've already made out the forms to g=have it picked up and my purchase refunded and even gave me a $20 gift card for all the trouble. And they said they can either refund or replace it if damaged again

This was on FB genny group. BBQ guys obviously is serious about packing for shipment.

20230602_185032.jpg

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy it. If you enjoy it half as much as I enjoy that big pellet popper you will be in grilling heaven. Obvious too, whoever they hired to do the shipping paid attention. Honestly (and I will verify this with photos), the Z Grill is incredibly well packed. But the best packing in the world won't hold up to improper handling. If that skid was delivered on it's side I doubt things would be intact

Well, I took the top of the box off and began to gently remove packing material. Knock wood, even though the box is beat up on the end, this time the hinge is not bent and the gasket material is intact. I felt the underside as well as I could without turning the grill on it's back and did not feel any buckling. IDK this one might end up a keeper.
If so, now I have a question to pose:
When I told my neighbor what Sam's had done for me (sent me a new one and said to keep the old one), he's wanting to buy the original one from me. Which now begs the question................................how much should I ask from him? I figure if he takes it I will simply use the brand new internal parts (deflector and grates) in the one he would take, and keep the used parts transferring them to the new grill. So that aside, the grill cost me $699. What would be a fair ask? I repaired the tweaked hinge, put new gasket material in place. So now other than the "buckle" in the sheet metal on the underside. It looks perfect. And the buckle is not visible unless you lay on your back and crawl under it. It's bit of a dilemma. OTOH I could gift it to son in law just not sure I am feeling THAT generous :D

As a reference point, something similar happened to someone in our neighborhood with a Pit Boss vertical. He got a new one sent to him, but in the meantime he figured out how to get his old one running. He decided to sell the brand new one. I think retail was around $800. He was going to let it go for $500 to the neighborhood, before he listed it at $600 on Craigslist or Facebook. I don't know what he ended up getting for it.

So it's a little bit different since he was selling a brand new one in a box, but at least it is a data point for you.

Maybe $300ish? Depends how much you like him. :)

If the new one works and isn't damaged then your out of pocket costs are your time setting it up and dealing with getting it replaced, so N hours at Y rate per hour. That's what it owes you.

If you listed it on CL or FBM what could it sell for? 300 +/- ?

I think keeping it in the family is a great idea.

If cash is the goal, sell it on FBM and ask $400

For your neighbor? Something less?

You could be in a lose lose position if you sell it to your neighbor. He knows you’re at zero cost so any amount could be “high,” and do you want to piss of your neighbor?

I’d tell him that you’re thinking of putting it up for sale online for $350. Ask him what he thinks would be a fair price for him and if you like the number then sell it to him at that price.

This way you didn’t come up with the price so you’re not overpricing your neighbor.

I’d rather have a happy and good neighbor than $200. That’s just me.

Who’s going to call the fire department if your house is burning down while you’re away? Never piss off the neighbors. They’re invaluable to have. Especially when they’re nice.

Back