Servo / Damper pictures

That's pretty sweet, is that a direct-drive damper? If so can you post the models (originals, not stl) for those? I was playing with some designs this morning and I want to make something similar except with a larger opening.

yeah direct drve and compact. I did it in Openscad and its kind of ugly. I plan on cleaning it up but I'm working on the case right now.

I can send you the ugly files if you want since you have done so much.

Nah take your time if you're going to clean it up. I can wait, I already have a working device I was just thinking how I could make it better.

What's the melting point of that stuff? You think with a silicone gasket (like the one Auber sells for their blower) that it would survive being attached to a WSM, or do you plan on attaching it to a dog bowl or something?

Last edited:
What's the melting point of that stuff? You think with a silicone gasket (like the one Auber sells for their blower) that it would survive being attacked to a WSM, or do you plan on attaching it to a dog bowl or something?

Yah, that was my first thought.... If you stick that thing into your vent I think you are going to end up with a blob of melted plastic...

After seeing the design, it got me thinking.. I wonder if I could modify my Auber blower (which has a gravity damper) with a servo attached directly. I have to look at it, but I feel like it would be possible by just replacing the flap's "axle".

I'm making a metal plate and then there will be a gasket. I only run my smoker 220-275. So that should be plenty.

I hope it works out for you, but I still wonder if that thing is gonna melt. I know the smoker temp is 220-275, but how hot is the fire? And what if the fire gets out of control at some point and shoots higher? I guess it depends on your smoker and how much heat makes it to the vent area...

If that is in reference to my use of PVC tubing for valves and dampers, the big difference is I use COPPER to connect to the grill and the plastic is held a distance away from the heat by the copper...

I use a PVC pipe connected to a metal plate for my BGE. The temperature outside the grill is a lot lower than in it so I'm thinking it will work out ok because ABS has a higher melting point, about 180C (385F) in practice. Ideally it should be at least a few inches away, but building items out of metal is a little harder. Larger than a stock piece of metal pipe I mean.

Hot off the press....

So I set out to make a "Double Barrel" fan adapter for my FauxMado grill because I wasn't getting quite enough air flow for high heat pizza cooks.... one thing leads to another and the next thing you know I have a new servo damper in hand! I am FINALLY getting the hang of using 123D to create 3D objects, it can still be frustrating at times but I got this valve designed really quick....

I decided to leave the bottom open so I can use it as the damper alone, I stuck with the same diameter as the (outer shell) of the PVC tube I've been using so I can use the adapters for various fans I have made already.

Here is a pic of the damper connected to my FauxMado burn pan with the "Double Barrel" design on the vent:
DoubleBarrel.jpg

Here is a pic from the servo side:
DoubleBarrel1.jpg

Here is a pic from the other side showing the CAT5 connector that connects the servo and fan to the HM. I am going to use snap connectors on the fan so I can use any of the various fans I have laying around. I have also added a CAT5 connector to my Heater Meter so I can now use a standard CAT5 cable to connect the HM to the servo/fan... The CAT5 jack snapped in perfectly on my first draft... SWEET!
DoubleBarrel2.jpg

EDIT: Here's a pic of my Heater Meter with the CAT5 jack:
HM_CAT5.jpg

Here is a pic from the bottom, you can see one of my fan adapters sitting beside it, and in the background is the "Double Barrel" adapter for my PVC servo damper that started me down this path:
DoubleBarrel3.jpg

I just got it together, haven't tested it out yet. I know this will be my "go-to" adapter for pizza cooks, the valve is rather large so I'm not sure yet if it will be my best valve for low and slow cooks on my FauxMado or not. All in all I am very happy with how the design and print of this valve went, it's really nice to finally have a better grip on how to get things done in the 3D printing world... Thank you very much to Tom, Matt and Bryan for helping me out a TON along the way....

EDIT: BTW, the reason I went with the "Double Barrel" design is because large pieces of copper are kinda expensive. I've got a stick of 3/4" pipe here and 3/4" fittings are cheap, so double barrel it is. I was afraid to put plastic right into the vent on my FauxMado, it would DEFINITELY melt during pizza cooks. So the copper gives me the few inches I need to make the temps more reasonable...

Last edited:
I got my first two from Amazon from Bryan's link (remember to use Bryan's link when shopping Amazon so he can get a little kick back from them, a tiny show of appreciation we can all do for his work on the Heater Meter project). Those have plastic gears but seem sturdy enough for the job, it is what I am using now. I just ordered 4 more from Ebay which have metal gears, watch out wherever you order them cause most of the best deals are shipping directly from China. I found 4 X Metal Gear Tower Pro Servo on ebay for $18 delivered and it says they ship from the USA, haven't received them yet so I can't comment further (just ordered last night)

Hey that's the exact seller I bought my metal geared servos from. One of the four I believe was DOA but no biggie, I have 3 backups.

I noticed that seller has these servo's listed in different auctions, some say shipping from China, others say shipping from USA. Where did yours ship from, and how long did it take? The fact that he has them listed as shipping from both countries makes me skeptical about it...

BTW, it was your info about the metal gear version that led me to buy these in the first place. Although I did search Amazon and Ebay for a source that was shipping from the USA, I guess I came up with the same seller you linked originally.

Got v2 of my servo damper complete tonight.

Won't really be able to test it till Saturday or Sunday.

2uZr2Lwl.jpg

Back