Separating Beef Brisket Flat From Point

David Gutierrez

What are the pros or cons to separating the point from the flat.

I want to try this and smoke this on my wsm but have never done it nor do I know what to expect or how I should change preperations/smoking.

Thanks for any help.

Pros: You can fit a larger brisket on your cooker. You can get each to the level of doneness that you want.

Cons: It's wrong. Also, the point helps keep the flat from drying out. You can always separate after the cook and cube up the point for burnt ends and throw them back on. I personally leave them connected, Central Texas style.

I separate mine, I cook them both differently for my competition prep, add injections to the flat and use a lot of the natural fats for the point. I also butterfly my flat so it's a uniform thickness and more even cooking

Dustin... thanks for your knowledge... it is what i thought too... I also have see competition bbq where they seperate it as Zac has explained... I wanted to try it but I hate to waste a prime packer on experiments... But we have costco prime that goes for 3 per lb right now... so not too bad...

Zac... I use a 14.5 in. weber so i have to cut them anyway... just looking for other options... how do they come out? I make these for friends and family and leftovers... brisket for lunch... good stuff... and am curious about this process...

I am also wanting to try a fast cook at 325... any experience there?

thanks for the knowledge guys...

Great info everyone. I have a 14.5 too and was looking for a little guidance, thanks.

I have cooked several high heat following the guide on this site, they have all turned out in the plus side of good. Some better then others. Don't trim to much fat or it will end up dry(made that mistake) Cook fat side down for around 2 hours/until it hits 170. Flip and then foil and cook for around 2 more hours and then probe for tenderness. If not butter tender cover and cook for 30 more minutes. Rinse and repeat.

I have never separated the point from the flat but I would guess if your doing high heat it may not be the best idea. The flat might get dried out. I have done a few with very small points and they were definitely on the dry side.

Last edited:
I don't have experience with a 14.5 but if it were me I'd split it either way and do the point and flat on separate racks. I like the hot and fast method myself. I did a 16# brisket the other day for a guy at work I split the muscles and cooked it until it got to the color I was looking for then I wrapped it in butcher paper. Until it hit 200. Super light sauce of a mixture of a spicy BBQ sauce a sweet sauce. He talks about it everyday about how good it was. It was a simple salt,pepper, and garlic powder rub. I keep seeing all these posts about Walmart deals on the 14.5's I may just have to see if I can snag one up to play with

I guess there are different opinions on this... I may try to do the high temp method... kind of leary to seperate but I feel like I may try it one day... maybe soon...

thanks for the support... I am learning...

Zac... I got mine at Walmart... $120

it was on clearance and slightly damaged... just the vent handle a little bent... cooks like a dream...

or you can build a mini with a smokey joe... I have both... see the pic... the built one cost about 75 to build...

I have an 18.5 WSM and a whole packer is generally 10 inches too wide. I split mine and have never had an issue. I like to put the flat on the bottom rack above the pan since that rack is generally a little cooler than my top rack, which helps both cuts finish close to the same time.

I have an 18.5 WSM and a whole packer is generally 10 inches too wide. I split mine and have never had an issue. I like to put the flat on the bottom rack above the pan since that rack is generally a little cooler than my top rack, which helps both cuts finish close to the same time.

What size brisket are you doing that you can't get it on an 18.5? I've done up to 21lbs and been able to fit it on.

What size brisket are you doing that you can't get it on an 18.5? I've done up to 21lbs and been able to fit it on.

Same here,,, always able to fit it in between the handles, I just put a little aluminum foil under the tips to keep them from burning.

I cut most of the fat layer out from between the point and cap and kinda fold the point 90* and have gotten a 16.5lb brisket on the 18.5. I would trim it the same way no matter the smoker, but it really makes it much easier to fit it on the wsm. And i also agree they should be left together. something about cooking them together and having everything come out just right.. :)
20160904_072031_zpsuaiqlls8.jpg

rb

I fit a 9.8 lb brisket whole in my 14.5 as well but it was tight... I have made some good brisket on my little grills but have also ruined some... it seems my heat diffuser on them does not divert heat as i would like... maybe using water is the key... i use sand in my wsm and a pizza pan in the mini smokey joe build... last one i did came out good but the bottom was a little burnt...

Back