Second brisket, success!

Eric-NH

TVWBB Pro
Decided to try a second brisket for my Movember fundraiser party last night. The overnight temp Friday was going to be a mild 50* so I decided to capitalize. So, this time was a 16 lb brisket, pre trim. PXL_20231117_233015027.jpgStarted the performer at about 0315, had the brisket on by 4. Pulled and wrapped when it stalled about 174*, then cooked until it seemed to stall again at about 191*. PXL_20231118_124224270.jpgActually started falling so I decided to pull and throw it in a cooler to rest at about 2 pm. Cut into it at about 530 or so. Holy cow was it delicious and SUPER tender. Almost hard to pick up a single slice without it falling in two. Actually had 2 people that do a lot of smoking/grilling give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. One of them wants me to come show him how to do it next time he's cooking one 😆PXL_20231118_143328862.jpgPXL_20231118_224812496.jpg

Excellent work! Im telling you, the long rest is your best friend with a large piece of meat! I did a pair of butts one time and the turnout was smaller than expected so, I just left the second one in the cooler for about five hours…WOW! The texture and moisture content went to 11,

Eric, that looks great. I love cooking briskets. The bigger the better. I'm so impressed that you were able to put the beast on at 0315! Those days are looong gone for me. 😥

Eric, that looks great. I love cooking briskets. The bigger the better. I'm so impressed that you were able to put the beast on at 0315! Those days are looong gone for me. 😥
My alarm is set for 4 am daily anyhow, I'm usually in the gym for 430. I'm used to early rising already so it wasn't too bad

Amazing work. Looks like you nailed it! That smoke ring on the flat looks perfect

I am smoking our Thanksgiving brisket today. its been in the mid 60's most of the day ( Tomorrow is going to be cold all day, ).
trimmed and seasoned last night. Put mine on around 5:00 am . At around 170 I foiled boated it Chudd's style. I hit it with an occasional light spritz (apple cider/water/Worcestershire). the bark is setting nicely.

boat meat baby.jpg

I'm almost ready to pull it into the cooler rest. Wife is got the oven occupied.

I hope mine turns out half as good as yours.

Last edited:

Back