Second attempt at tri-tip

Steve P. (Timmee)

TVWBB Member
So, I found another tri-tip (it's relatively rare in my area), and decided to do it up. I used a modified version of the rub I used last time (with less cayenne pepper), and cooked it to 145 degrees this time, and it turned out great. I'm hoping that I can continue to find this cut of meat in my area, it's starting to become one of my favorites. Well, on to the pics.

On the grill, offset with the temperature probe in.

VbhdKx.jpg

Off the grill, and resting.

1ClOgh.jpg

Sliced (I still don't have great knife skills).

eIWnyl.jpg

Plated, with green beans and garlic biscuits.

I8vMAu.jpg

It's a staple here. Let me just pass on a cooking tip. Start the tri-tip out with a quick sear over the coals, then put in your probe and finish it indirect. That crusty sear separates a good tri-tip from an exceptional one. Don't know what you used for a rub, but make sure it is significantly salty.

Forgot to mention...it looks perfectly cooked to my taste. Love a medium rare tri-tip.

Last edited:
It's a staple here. Let me just pass on a cooking tip. Start the tri-tip out with a quick sear over the coals, then put in your probe and finish it indirect. That crusty sear separates a good tri-tip from an exceptional one. Don't know what you used for a rub, but make sure it is significantly salty.

Forgot to mention...it looks perfectly cooked to my taste. Love a medium rare tri-tip.

I put the tri-tip over the coals at the end of the cook, but it was only for a couple of minutes. I'll give it a try at the beginning of the cook next time.

That does look good! The last few I've done, I've just gone direct the whole time.... 18 minutes then flip, 15 minutes ---> Done! Keep it up

>>>edit: I know you didn't ask, and this is as much for me as for you, but this is the next recipe I intend to try for my next Tri Tip. They're common @ Costco near me, maybe check there.

Last edited:
Looks perfect Steve!
Nothing wrong with doing the reverse sear, I do it for tri tips and steaks most of the time.
I like to let them get some wood smoke while cool, watch the meat temp, then hit 'em with high heat to finish.

Looks perfect Steve!
Nothing wrong with doing the reverse sear, I do it for tri tips and steaks most of the time.
I like to let them get some wood smoke while cool, watch the meat temp, then hit 'em with high heat to finish.

Been doing what Bob does for awhile and prefer it to a up front sear.

Very nice! Looks waaaay better than my tri-tip back when I attempted it for the 2nd time. Your plated photo looks like some good eating, Steve.

Back